DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm 

tomp wrote:
Yes, but remember intensity drops aff with the square of the distance. Things near by can have more effect.

Exactly.
Wireless NIC is a EM signal generator often sitting within inches of the audio circuit of the motherboard. The reason "audiophiles" avoid wireless communications in home audio streaming.

If anyone want to test its impact, use a good quality digital camera to shoot pictures in the dark with the camera within inches of the wireless antenna (while it is wireless network transmitting data). The interference manifests itself as white noise. Remember, camera body is insulated against EM radiation while you motherboard is not.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 1:11 pm 

I found this link interesting, particularly item 10.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point-placement/

Where I live now, wireless connection is simple and adequate. However, I suspect that at our new unit in Australia things will be more complicated. However, I do have a pretty fair idea of what I will be implementing and am not too worried. In addition, I will ask the neighbours what they are doing and what issues they are having.

As always, there is no one solution fits all but it helps to know some basic principles about how the stuff works.

ray

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 1:30 pm 

tomp wrote:
Yes, but remember intensity drops aff with the square of the distance. Things near by can have more effect. Frequency is also important. Those pesky high frequency short wavelength signals are like mice. They can get through the smallest holes.

Plus -- there are numerous other sources of RFI/EMI within one's home. Lighting power supplies for florescent fixtures, or compact florescent (CFL) fixtures, or light emitting diode (LED) light sources that have switch-mode power supplies that either step-up voltage to feed florescents or CFLs or step-down DC voltages to feed LED fixtures.

The days of passive incandescent light sources are a thing of the past as are the fluorescent magnetic ballasts from the past. Now we come to television and computer displays that also flood the household with RFI not to mention portable telephones and cell phones.

Especially cell phones that even if just sitting on the table, or in one's pocket, are always being interrogated by the nearest cell tower with the phone "answering the call" by transmitting.

That is the very basic feature of cell phones enabling a caller to reach you because the system knows where you are at all times. Then there is the router and your own Wi-Fi signal flooding the house.

So -- Tom is correct in that the intensity drops off with the square of the distance -- that's fine with outside sources like radio and TV transmitters or even cell towers. But the average person has a lot more going on just inside the walls of his/her home.

Hell -- my wife's Water Pic motor can raise hell with my off-air TV reception. The signal is corrupted terribly until she stops cleaning her teeth.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 2:13 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
....Hell -- my wife's Water Pic motor can raise hell with my off-air TV reception. The signal is corrupted terribly until she stops cleaning her teeth.[/color]

:-) Just went through this recently after a partial remodel. Electrician ran some new circuits in the attic and the power supply for my digital tv antenna in the attic ended up on the same circuit as a string of recessed LED lights. Turn the lights on in that room, the tv in the living room gets wiped out. Took me 2 weeks to figure that out. My electrician was stunned when I showed him, though he did take note for future installations.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 2:31 pm 

Jim G wrote:
SoundMods wrote:
....Hell -- my wife's Water Pic motor can raise hell with my off-air TV reception. The signal is corrupted terribly until she stops cleaning her teeth.[/color]

:-) Just went through this recently after a partial remodel. Electrician ran some new circuits in the attic and the power supply for my digital tv antenna in the attic ended up on the same circuit as a string of recessed LED lights. Turn the lights on in that room, the tv in the living room gets wiped out. Took me 2 weeks to figure that out. My electrician was stunned when I showed him, though he did take note for future installations.

If only. My master TV antenna system low-noise amplifiers are on their own panel-board and circuit. The power supplies are buffered with heavy RFI/EMI filtering. I get air-borne noise. I live in Baltimore County and if I turn on my kitchen LED hi-hats Washington, DC channels 7 and 9 are not viewable.

Of course the good news is that my only outlay was only $78 for the antenna that I installed in my attic cavity, and about $250 for the amps. and cables. That was a one-time cost 28 years ago. WOO-HOO!!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm 

I just bought three three packs of these to insure my house is bathed in high power 2.4 and 5 GHz. I got the dual band since they will all connect via hard wire. Apparently I did not include the link before...

https://www.woot.com/offers/linksys-velop-mesh-wifi-system?ref=w_all_3

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 8:59 pm 

Hell -- my wife's Water Pic motor can raise hell with my off-air TV reception. The signal is corrupted terribly until she stops cleaning her teeth.[/color][/quote]
You said a mouthful Walt. :crazy:

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 9:02 pm 

A new technology solves the TV interference problems you guys are experiencing. It's called c a b l e. We have no issues. Although I will admit neither of us brushes our teeth while watching TV. Also, we don't watch live TV. Ain't DVR's great?!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 9:48 am 

DaveR wrote:
A new technology solves the TV interference problems you guys are experiencing. It's called c a b l e. We have no issues. Although I will admit neither of us brushes our teeth while watching TV. Also, we don't watch live TV. Ain't DVR's great?!

Why should I pay for broadcast television when I have been getting it free for a lifetime now. With my one-time purchase of a broadband antenna and low-noise distribution amps. I get more than 50 ATSC un-compressed hi-def channels that include not only Baltimore, where I live, but also Washington, DC and Virginia -- that with cable service would be blocked.

When I travel for business, and wish to watch TV in my room that is typically served by cable or satellite I find that there are several hundred channels of crap so I end up watching -- wait for it -- here it comes -- major networks' broadcast TV.

Any airborne interruptions such as aviation and that damn Water-Pic are minimal at best if for the most part not at all.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 10:08 am 

It depends on if you want source mateial that is not on any broadcast. It extends past what cable can provide and goes into Netflix and Amazon presentations over the web such as the SciFi show The Expanse on Amazon Prime TV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next