DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 11:14 am 

David McGown wrote:
Regarding wireless networks for audio, I have been successful in configuring a wireless bridge to ethernet using a 5Ghz band (after finding a quiet channel), and it has performed flawlessly streaming up to 192/24 audio from Qobuz to an RPI4 based renderer. Absolutely solid and reliable. Had problems with noise using a powerline ethernet adapter. Just another perspective.

David

What was the problem with the powerline adapter, David? And what wireless bridge did you end up using?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 12:20 pm 

Grover,

From a network perspective, it worked great. However, I noticed later I had low level noise (hum) in the system. I ended up spending hours tearing the system apart trying to find the problem and finally when I disconnected the ethernet adapter, it went away. It was either a ground loop situation (probably), or the unit introduced noise in the mains. Anyway, it is doing great service in my basement, so no real loss.

The wireless bridge is TP-Link AC2600 RE650 Range Extender, which I am using in bridge mode with ethernet cable from the bridge to the RPI. I was having problems with using it initially, probably because I did not get clear wireless channels and therefore could not get reliable connection back to the router. Once I worked on my router wireless configuration, I was able to setup clear 2.4G and 5G channels that the range extender could connect to, but by that time, I was already using the powerline adapter in my system and moved it to my basement. When I discovered the hum issue with the powerline adapter, I just swapped the wireless range extender back in and it worked flawlessly. BTW, I set up the unit with its own SSID, so made sure than nothing else on my network connects to the range extender, by default it uses the same SSID as the router, which caused alot of problems initially with devices randomly disconnecting and reconnecting based on the strongest signal. I have had it running now for a few weeks now, and it is solid.

I wonder if finding clear 2.4G and 5G channels on the router probably would have fixed the situation at the start, allowing reliable connections on all devices back to the router. I had just used the default channel settings on the router, which turned out to be pretty congested. I often noticed significant wireless network delays and disconnects before I started down this path, and now everything is connecting and staying connected without delays. It is probably good advice to anyone in a situation where wireless streaming is the only practical alternative, to work on getting clear channels setup at the router, i.e. DON'T USE THE DEFAULTS. Usually the router will have a utility that shows channel usage and signal strength (my neighborhood is pretty active), and will actually recommend the clearest channels. Also, a wireless bridge is a good idea since it means devices that may have less than stellar wifi adapters (like earlier RPIs) are connected via a more reliable and likely lower CPU overhead ethernet cable.

David

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 12:32 pm 

Good to know, thanks David. Just in case Jim starts having trouble with his setup...

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 8:59 pm 

Never had any problems streaming 24/192 with wifi. I normally go wired with Supra Ethernet cables.

Wifi vs wired is an interesting comparison. I went back and forth but ultimately decided that ethernet connection was better.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 9:55 pm 

In a recent interview, Gordon Rankin (Asynchronous USB guy) talked about a wired connection being superior because it uses significantly less power and requires fewer processes than wireless connections. Reducing the amount of power consumption in digital devices seems to be a common goal in digital audio design, I believe I've read or heard Ted Smith talk about it related to improving the PS Audio DirectStream, as well as Gordon Rankin regarding the evolving design of the Audioquest Dragonfly.

My coworker listens to a lot of Qobuz through Roon, I'll ask him if he has found an audible difference when using things through Roon vs. directly.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
Why are wireless networks bad for streaming?

ray

Wireless signals are electro magnetic signals. Where there are em waves, there is interference in the electrical signals. So, the wireless NIC in your laptop/pc is a giant EM wave generator and EM collector. Why do you want it in their high end audio system?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 10:22 pm 

Wired signals are also electromagnetic with the majority of the signal traveling along the wires. Some stray part is radiated depending on cable construction and the quality of the shielding but not the total signal as with wireless.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 9:16 am 

Wireless signals are everywhere whether you are using them or not.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:06 am 

Since EM consists of radio signals as well, FM carrier frequency band is 87- 108 MHz, and it lives in an audio system fine with no problem. Wireless carrier frequency band centers on 2.4 and 5 GHz, 20 to 50 times higher in frequency than FM. The microwave oven is an emitter (and interferes with the 2.4 GHz band). We are surrounded by RF. I have a ham radio operator 3 doors down from me with a transmitter rated close to the legal limit, and I do get a side lobe from his antenna when pointing in certain directions and operating in certain frequency bands that my system rectifies into audio. Worse listening to phono using a high impedance MM cartridge, low impedance MC is less of a problem. Such RFI is a far greater problem to an audio system than wireless signals. However, with good grounding and shielding design, the equipment should reject this interference (which is to say, my DIY phonostage does not quite live up to this ideal).

David

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:08 am 

Yes, but remember intensity drops aff with the square of the distance. Things near by can have more effect. Frequency is also important. Those pesky high frequency short wavelength signals are like mice. They can get through the smallest holes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next