DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 10:45 am 

Any recommendations for contemporary classical pieces? I was enjoying, "Pas de Deux", Daniel Rowland / Maja Bogdanovic, on Qobuz. Nothing contemporary there but the liner notes promoting, "world premiere recordings", got me thinking about contemporary pieces.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 11:12 am 

A few years ago when I was visiting Australia I heard the following on the radio and was entranced.

The composer is Ross Edwards and the piece is a violin concerto called Maninyas. Quboz has a version with the Sydney Symphony which I have not heard. I have another version with the Adelaide Symphony . The slow movement is particularly fine. I wish some famous violinist like Hilary Hahn would record it because I think it should be known beyond Australia's shores.

Since I mentioned Hilary Hahn, try her Encores release which features modern composers.

If you haven't heard it, try Michael Torke's Colors with Zinman and the Baltimore Symphony.

And if you like choral music, try Baltic Voices with the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir.

Have you any suggestions?

ray

PostPosted: April 13th, 2020, 10:33 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. I had found the Hillary Hahn encores. Here are a couple of suggestions from me:

1) Speaking Sound, Joachim Kün / Mateusz Smoczynski - This gets a little bit new age for my tastes but I enjoyed the sounds
2) Chris Brubeck: Danza del Soul; Michael Gandolfi: Line Drawings; Lukas Foss: Central Park Reel, Concord Chamber Music Society - Good clean recording and performance. I enjoy this album.

A while back I was loosely involved with the Baltimore Composers Forum. They have regular performances and produced a collection of recordings called, "Sound on Sound" that you can listen to on Sound Cloud. It's a very diverse and sometimes eclectic mix of stuff.