DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: FreeNAS
PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 12:50 am 

Thanks Shashi, but I was curious what the advantage to using the FreeNAS is for audio over the Synology, as they seem to be roughly the same cost. Most projects here are usually done because they a) sound significantly better, b) cost significantly less, or c) all of the above.:-) Thought maybe I'd missed something about these storage devices. I currently use a Synology for storage.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 6:34 am 

I've read too many horror stories about cheap RAID arrays to employ one. I'm happy with OMV and separate drives that I back up manually once a month. For not much money I put the NAS drives all in one box. OMV also allows you to install BubbleUPnP or other music-server software, and it's all configurable. The cheap cloud servers like MYCloud or whatever generally don't give you those options.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 10:22 am 

Grover,

Thanks for the tip on OMV. I have a RPI4 (4GB) that is looking for a new job, plus a 1TB SSD that has my music library. I have a MyCloud with spinning disks up in my computer that just seems to drag its' feet. It's processor is a lot less powerful than an RPI3, and it takes forever to do any configuration on it, as well as any directory listing. Data transfer is better. My music player (an RPI3B w/ an Allo DigiOne SPDIF hat, is connecting via wireless to the NAS. I want to have the NAS on a local repeater to my player (with a wireless bridge back to my router), and an OMV SSD setup would be completely slient and should keep the data stream local. Anyway, I want to try it out. What are you using to serve your music...LMS? I did not see an LMS plugin reading through the OMV docs, so wondering how to best set this up on top of OMV. (maybe just run it independently). Any case, thanks for in the info on OMV.

David

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 11:04 am 

Charlie and I (and maybe Stuart?) use Minimserver loaded on Synology NAS', hardwired to our network renderers at the stereos and control with BubbleUpnp. NAS backed up elsewhere on the network and off network.

The FreeNAS and OMV do seem pretty geeky/configurable as Shashi mentioned. Is that the primary reason for use, personalization?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 12:01 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Grover,

Thanks for the tip on OMV. I have a RPI4 (4GB) that is looking for a new job, plus a 1TB SSD that has my music library. I have a MyCloud with spinning disks up in my computer that just seems to drag its' feet. It's processor is a lot less powerful than an RPI3, and it takes forever to do any configuration on it, as well as any directory listing. Data transfer is better. My music player (an RPI3B w/ an Allo DigiOne SPDIF hat, is connecting via wireless to the NAS. I want to have the NAS on a local repeater to my player (with a wireless bridge back to my router), and an OMV SSD setup would be completely slient and should keep the data stream local. Anyway, I want to try it out. What are you using to serve your music...LMS? I did not see an LMS plugin reading through the OMV docs, so wondering how to best set this up on top of OMV. (maybe just run it independently). Any case, thanks for in the info on OMV.

David

I use Audirvana on my Mac Mini with an Allo USBridge Signature running Moode Audio as a renderer. I like drag-n-drop playing. But I think there's a "docker" for squeezelite you can use with OMV, you can google it. I've never tried to set it up, I prefer MPD. Anyway, OMV is really easy to use once you figure out the process of shares and permissions.

BTW, Dave, if you haven't considered the new Allo Digione Signature, you should. My USBridge Sig has the Digione Sig installed right on it, in the "combo" case. I prefer USB but the Digione Sig is much better than the older model, to my ears, first time coax has sounded good to me. I power both with their Shanti LPS. It's better than anything else I've tried as a renderer to date, and it has stayed in the system. With Moode it also makes a great standalone player. I just set up my pal Jim with one to stream Tidal instead of dragging his laptop around the room, and he's been all "thank you thank you thank you." ;-) You can buy the Digione Signature separately and use it with the RPi.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature.html

https://allo.com/sparky/shanti.html

Also try Moode Audio on your Digione if you haven't. It has an LMS option, so I'm not sure you'd need it on the server, but I'm never sure how that works, LMS has always been a little confusing to me. ;-)

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 12:10 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Charlie and I (and maybe Stuart?) use Minimserver loaded on Synology NAS', hardwired to our network renderers at the stereos and control with BubbleUpnp. NAS backed up elsewhere on the network and off network.

The FreeNAS and OMV do seem pretty geeky/configurable as Shashi mentioned. Is that the primary reason for use, personalization?

Yes, Minimserver and Bubbleupnp are great, but your collection has to be fairly tidy and uniform. Mine is too big and messy, and I find drag-n-drop with Audirvana easier.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm 

Grover,

Thanks for the recommendation for the DigiOne Signature (and USB bridge). That may be where I will end up going. I was tempted to upgrade from the DigiOne over the holidays, but instead bought a new tonearm (I am still an avid vinyl listener).

David

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 12:55 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Grover,

Thanks for the recommendation for the DigiOne Signature (and USB bridge). That may be where I will end up going. I was tempted to upgrade from the DigiOne over the holidays, but instead bought a new tonearm (I am still an avid vinyl listener).

David

Okay, good. There's some question as to whether the Digione Sig sounds better with the USBridge Sig board than with the stock RPi. The USBridge Sig card supposedly has better PS isolation elements. The Shanti has outputs to feed both the board and the Digione Sig. I've been meaning to try the Digione Sig both ways but I have to tear the whole thing apart to do it. Maybe I'll give it a go tonight.

ETA: Oh, you know I only have an RPi 2, not the 3 or 4. I don't know if that will make a difference. Well, I'll fiddle with it.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm 

Grover Gardner wrote:
....ETA: Oh, you know I only have an RPi 2, not the 3 or 4. I don't know if that will make a difference. Well, I'll fiddle with it.

The Pi 4 is radically superior to the 3 in Charlie's network. I believe those are the only types he's tried. The 4 is still radically inferior to his diy renderer.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:
....ETA: Oh, you know I only have an RPi 2, not the 3 or 4. I don't know if that will make a difference. Well, I'll fiddle with it.

The Pi 4 is radically superior to the 3 in Charlie's network. I believe those are the only types he's tried. The 4 is still radically inferior to his diy renderer.

Interesting, thanks Jim. I did a very quick AB of the Digione Signature on the USBridge and my old RPi 2 and there's very little difference. The Digione Sig lets you power the RPi through it's own regulator/isolation board. So if you're committed to coax, I think the Digione Sig and Shanti PS would be fine with an RPi 3 or 4.

It's *definitely* an improvement over my old Digione, which is strident in the highs by comparison, even with the Shanti power supply.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next