DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: FreeNAS
PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 8:57 pm 

Grover,

Again, THANKS! Your suggestion of the power line Ethernet adapters made this possible.

David

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 9:49 pm 

I just played the Pavel Haas 8th and it certainly sounds good. I was more impressed by the performance than the reviewer in the Gramophone, but that's my privilege. Thanks for the suggestion.

ray

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 10:56 pm 

Ray,

I am a sucker for Shostakovich, and the 8th is my one of my favorite quartets (certaintly his darkest and most angst-ridden). I heard good things about the Pavel Haas quartet, this was my first real listening.

Although I am very much a HIPtser (i.e. Historically Informed Performance), I really like Alexandre Tharaud playing French baroque on piano, he really gets the essence and makes the music come through with clarity, feeling, and style. Just listened to his latest album "Versailles" and loved it. I won't tell my harpsichord friends, however!

Thanks for the offer of the Gramophone magazines, I used to subscribe a couple of decades ago, and probably need to look into a digital subscription rather than print. My shelf space is pretty full with records, CDs, music and books, although it would be great to pour through the reviews, not sure I have the space to keep them. But let me sleep on that...I would be fun to read a review and immediately listen to the piece.

David

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 11:02 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Grover,

Again, THANKS! Your suggestion of the power line Ethernet adapters made this possible.

David

I'm so glad it worked out! Don't forget to try Moode Audio, I think it sounds great, better than Volumio. In the Audio configuration section you set the DAC to Allo Digione, then restart, edit MPD to select the Digione, then turn on UPnP lower down on the Audio config page. Click EDIT under UPnP and you can enter your account for Qobuz.

I'd also encourage you to consider the Digione Signature and Shanti power supply. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the smoother presentation.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 11:07 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Ray,

I am a sucker for Shostakovich, and the 8th is my one of my favorite quartets (certaintly his darkest and most angst-ridden). I heard good things about the Pavel Haas quartet, this was my first real listening.

Although I am very much a HIPtser (i.e. Historically Informed Performance), I really like Alexandre Tharaud playing French baroque on piano, he really gets the essence and makes the music come through with clarity, feeling, and style. Just listened to his latest album "Versailles" and loved it. I won't tell my harpsichord friends, however!

Thanks for the offer of the Gramophone magazines, I used to subscribe a couple of decades ago, and probably need to look into a digital subscription rather than print. My shelf space is pretty full with records, CDs, music and books, although it would be great to pour through the reviews, not sure I have the space to keep them. But let me sleep on that...I would be fun to read a review and immediately listen to the piece.

David

I like that Tharaud album a lot. His Chabrier is wonderful.

Jim and I like to check out Musicweb-International for new things to listen to. It's free and they post new reviews daily. Their pretty reliable, but it doesn't matter if you're streaming, you can just check out new releases.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 8:23 am 

I have added the Tharaud to my playlist that I am wending my way through. I think I will start another thread on interesting Quboz classical releases that we like.

I too will move to a digital subscription when I move to Oz. May I suggest that I bring the physical collection of Gramophones down to your place and you can throw them away. Or maybe just the last 12 issues.

ray

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm 

Ray,

Yes, that sounds fine with me. The last time I moved was 20 years ago across town, and remember all the stuff I had to clear out for that move. I can't even imagine what it is like to move a half a world away. So let me take them so you don't have deal with it anymore.

David

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 11:18 am 

I know ECC ram requires a special motherboard, but does it also require a particular type of CPU? I’m rebuilding my FreeNAS system and want to upgrade to ECC ram.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 11:54 am 
Site Admin

m1garandusa wrote:
I know ECC ram requires a special motherboard, but does it also require a particular type of CPU? I’m rebuilding my FreeNAS system and want to upgrade to ECC ram.

Can't remember, but don't think so... I'm using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BHMN8X/ in my smaller FreeNAS setup. Note that in spite of the fact that it's a server motherboard it doesn't support SAS drives, only SATA. Larger one is in an HP ML350G8....

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm 

m1garandusa wrote:

If you want to build a FreeNAS Machine I suggest to look at 2-3 generations old HP or Dell Servers. They come as 2U rack mounts.

Take a look at this:
7th Gen HP DL380 Server, 48 GB Memory, 12 drvie Bays with 6 populated with SAS Drives, nice Smart Array P410 RAID Controller, redundant power supplies etc. etc....

All for under $1K. This will work for years and years if you protect from power surges.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/server ... IntelE5640

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next