Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

This should be required watching

November 25th, 2019, 11:08 am

Great video that explains and shows facts and myths about digital audio.

https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Re: This should be required watching

November 25th, 2019, 12:31 pm

DaveR wrote:Great video that explains and shows facts and myths about digital audio.

https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

If only "life" was as simple as sine waves. There is far more going in with music traversing the A/D then D/A conversion -- much more than can be explained with a simplistic viewpoint. If only.

November 25th, 2019, 2:42 pm

It's a primer, not an in depth analysis. I suspect there's a lot of information in that video that most people here don't know. Not trying to insult anyone, there' s lot of misconception.

November 25th, 2019, 2:53 pm

DaveR wrote:It's a primer, not an in depth analysis. I suspect there's a lot of information in that video that most people here don't know. Not trying to insult anyone, there' s lot of misconception.

I don't think anyone that saw your message was insulted. No. Not at all -- why would they? I just didn't want folks with a limited knowledge think that digital recording and playback can be reduced to a simple video explanation.

November 25th, 2019, 6:44 pm

I thought the presentation was quite good, and if one watched the complete session the presented announces that he simplified the presentation for the uninformed and provided info to where to go to dig deeper.

December 2nd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Do people really think that DACs send out stepped sine waves to components downstream (preamps, amps, speakers)? :sad-roulette: :lol:

December 4th, 2019, 5:22 pm

TubeDriver wrote:Do people really think that DACs send out stepped sine waves to components downstream (preamps, amps, speakers)? :sad-roulette: :lol:

Nope. Ones and zeroes.

:techie-computer:

December 4th, 2019, 9:16 pm

TubeDriver wrote:Do people really think that DACs send out stepped sine waves to components downstream (preamps, amps, speakers)? :sad-roulette: :lol:

From the digital communication engineering POV digital signal are treated as square waves. This is because digital communications is only interested in snapshot of the signal at certain intervals. What happens to the signal between the intervals is of no consequence.

In reality, digital signals are not smooth sinewaves. They look closer to square waves.

I am sure you meant to say DAC receives digital signals from upstream devices.

December 4th, 2019, 11:10 pm

No, I meant that the signal coming out of your DAC as seen by your preamp has been filtered/reconstructed and is not stepped.

Cogito wrote:

From the digital communication engineering POV digital signal are treated as square waves. This is because digital communications is only interested in snapshot of the signal at certain intervals. What happens to the signal between the intervals is of no consequence.

In reality, digital signals are not smooth sinewaves. They look closer to square waves.

I am sure you meant to say DAC receives digital signals from upstream devices.
Post a reply