DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wire strippers
PostPosted: November 24th, 2019, 4:19 am 

Any recommendation on some wire strippers?

Post subject: Re: Wire strippers
PostPosted: November 24th, 2019, 10:31 am 

Here are three recommendations based on how much work you do and how handy you are.

Number one is a very versatile stripper but requires a practiced touch or repeated adjustments. It is the Miller 101-S.

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-100-S-101 ... NrPXRydWU=

The advantage of this stripper is that it can strip any size wire and can also cut at the base of the jaws. You can us the screw in the handle to adjust the cut for any sized wire perfectly but you have to adjust it for each size wire. You also have to slightly rotate it because of the V shape while stripping. However, once you get used to it you can set the screw for the smallest wire you expect to strip and use feel on other sizes of wire to determine when you are through the insulation and complete the strip. When learning you will probably cut through a few strands of stranded wire, but once you get the hang of it, it is the most versatile and fastest of the strippers. I use it for probably 95% of my work. It also does not take up much space in your tool kit.

Second is one of them many pliers type of strippers that have multiple sizes of holes along the length for different sizes of wires. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/DOWELL-Stripper- ... ction-Tool,Professional-Craftsmanship/dp/B06X9875Z7/ref=sr_1_23_sspa?keywords=wire+stripper&qid=1574602104&sr=8-23-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTjVLQ0M1QVRERlhQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTAyNDc1MzdWQ0lCVEMxOFoxRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI5NjM1MUgxUkc3UDBJUlRJWiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It will work with a pre-defined number of wire sizes and as long as you know pick the correct hole for the size wire you are using it works very well. If you pick the wrong hole you will either not strip the insulation or cut some of the strands. The round cutting surfaces prevent wire knicks on the proper sized wire. I find it a pain to have to pick the right sized hole every time.

Third is the grand daddy of strippers, the Ideal Stripmaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-45-293-Str ... 031&sr=8-5

If you do a lot of work, this is the one to have. You put the wire through the appropriate sized hole with the length of wire to be stripped through the hole, then you just squeeze the handles. The first thing that happens is the rear jaws clamp the wire and then the set of cutting jaws closes and cuts the insulation. As you squeeze further, the jaws separate and, poof, the insulations is gone. For high volume work it is very fast and easy because it is one handed during the cut and does not require a second hand to hold the wire inplace while the first hand pulls. All will work but the Miller type of stripper is in my opinion the one to have if you are stranded on a desert island.

Post subject: Re: Wire strippers
PostPosted: November 24th, 2019, 10:42 am 

I use these, it takes a while to adjust and get use to it but once you get it set it is very fast
https://www.amazon.com/DOWELL-Adjustable-0-2mm-3-3mm-electrical-automotive/dp/B07HF2SGHX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=auto+wire+strippers&qid=1574606449&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVzZISk8xTTA0NFJZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODMxOTU2M1FXUVdBUkJQTkRHUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjIwODI0MVpWRjNUOEgwSlZLNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=