DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Absolute Poalrity
PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 10:26 am 

It has been said that most people cannot tell whether what you are hearing from your system is in correct polarity or not.
This is an interesting article that shows how may CD's and CD players were reverse polarity
If one cant hear it then why bother? I just find it curious
https://web.archive.org/web/20180806090750/http://absolutepolaritygeorge.com/

Post subject: Re: Absolute Poalrity
PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 10:47 am 

Absolute recording polarity is an interesting topic. Have read both sides, including The Wood Effect book.

I tried it with simply mic'd recordings like RCA Living Stereo early recordings and there is a distinct difference in violin and other string tone. The history of those recordings was that the mic to recording system reversed absolute polarity. Easy to swap by either reversing the speaker connection or some DAC's have polarity reversing switching.

The other half the equation is trying it with headphones as they are single driver, so polarity is the same for the entire frequency range.

Was interesting trying it here and there was a preference for different recordings. Most modern recordings with multitracks do not seem to exhibit as much change as the simple mic recordings.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 11:13 am 
Site Admin

HAL wrote:
Was interesting trying it here and there was a preference for different recordings. Most modern recordings with multitracks do not seem to exhibit as much change as the simple mic recordings.

That's because half the tracks are out of phase with the other half....

PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm 

With my CD playback system I can switch polarity on the fly. With some recordings -- not all -- I heard a difference. But only a difference not necessarily better reproduction. Some of this phenom may be what it takes electronically to reverse the phase. My guess is that to get a true idea of phase differences is to simply flip the speaker wires leaving everything else the same. Then there is the gain stage count to determine if your system from source to speaker terminals is in phase or "out of phase." Capacitor coupling twists things further by 90-degrees.

My recommendation? Don't worry about it -- it will drive you nuts. :crazy:

PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

SoundMods wrote:

Short drive for some of us :obscene-drinkingcheers:

PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm 

I do not think I can hear a difference when I switch speaker system polarity.
I can hear when I accidentally switch the mids on my maggies(easily done on my system).
I get better balance when my subs are out of phase to my mains

PostPosted: November 17th, 2019, 10:10 am 

Without doing any experimentation, it seems to me that on impacts there may be a perceived difference, but on sounds that are more than a cycle or two it's unlikely there is any objective perceived difference. Impacts, in real life, generate a positive pressure. If the impact created a sudden negative pressure I can believe it would be perceived differently. Pure speculation.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2019, 11:41 am 

Perhaps we could try it when we listen to the Elsinore speakers.

ray

PostPosted: November 17th, 2019, 11:57 am 

The difference between polarities shows up most for instruments that have asymmetrical waveforms when recorded. Brass is one type of instrument that has a very asymmetric waveform when recorded.

Those are ones that show up absolute polarity differences when I have tried listening to both polarities of a recording.

Should be interesting to see feedback on the speaker test.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2019, 7:20 pm 

I tend to agree with this. How to determine absolute phase in a multimiked recording where absolute phase can vary by mike?

I set my system from source (cartridge/DAC) to speaker cables to be consistent and not change absolute phase as best as I can. Then I just play music.

I took into account my amps gain stages (2, so invert and than invert again, no overall change) but they are cap coupled (looks at amp suspiciously, "have you been fooling me all along?"). :sad-roulette:

SoundMods wrote:
With my CD playback system I can switch polarity on the fly. With some recordings -- not all -- I heard a difference. But only a difference not necessarily better reproduction. Some of this phenom may be what it takes electronically to reverse the phase. My guess is that to get a true idea of phase differences is to simply flip the speaker wires leaving everything else the same. Then there is the gain stage count to determine if your system from source to speaker terminals is in phase or "out of phase." Capacitor coupling twists things further by 90-degrees.