Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Blu-ray CD Transport

October 10th, 2019, 11:57 am

My Oppo Blu-ray BDP-93 that I've been using as a CD transport to an external Metrum DAC recently died. So far, it has been my favorite sounding transport among the various Blu-ray and DVD players I've had. Substituting an old player is a step down. I will try to fix it (it appears to be in the power supply), but in the event I can't, I'd like to find a new one with a good sounding transport. I don't need all the DAC audio features or multi-channel audio capabilities, since I go digital out to a DAC. Also, don't have 4k video equipment yet. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive Blu-ray player with a good sounding transport to hold me over until I go to 4K?

Re: Blu-ray CD Transport

October 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

A BDP-93 with NuForce mods is for sale at the DC HiFi Groups Rummage sale on Sunday, $400.

October 10th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the tip, but I don't need the audio mods, and would rather opt for a newer player that might not die on me soon, as my last one did.

October 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

In my experience playing already ripped files form a PC works better than any optical transport. Just a thought...

Roscoe

October 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

My friend Jim, who many of you in DC know, bought the Cambridge Audio CXC transport and he loves it. You can get it for $399.

October 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I agree with Roscoe

October 11th, 2019, 10:16 pm

What other players are halfway decent?

October 11th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I agree with Roscoe

Though I am heavily invested in PC playback, I'm do not necessarily agree. IMO, with a good transport feeding a good DAC via coax, you can get a cleaner, weightier sound from CDs. There's no OS or potentially noise-ridden USB interface to intervene.

October 12th, 2019, 7:31 am

There are many isolation devices on the market that remove computer nasties from USB

October 12th, 2019, 11:22 am

Pelliott321 wrote:There are many isolation devices on the market that remove computer nasties from USB

And I've yet to hear one that really makes a difference or doesn't introduce anomalies of its own.

I'm very happy with my PC playback. But I would not say it's better than a CD player at Redbook sampling rates.
Last edited by Grover Gardner on October 12th, 2019, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post a reply