DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I wonder...
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Considering the prices for high-end commercial speakers & amps, I wonder how this setup would actually work in the home environment: http://www.jblpro.com/products/recordin ... index.html

$20K/pair with bi-amplification and a mic/software for room correction, seems cheap in the world of $40K speakers & $30K amps :roll:

OK TomP, these are right up your alley :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Roscoe

Post subject: Re: I wonder...
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 11:28 am 

This is an interesting design. The horn loading would be a benefit is a small room because it would help eliminate early reflections. It would also help with dynamic range. The bad part would be the mismatch of polar response between the woofer and tweeter. I have also yet to see a horn that has even enough frequency response for me in real life. It always boils down to tradeoffs and what you like.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

tomp wrote:
This is an interesting design. The horn loading would be a benefit is a small room because it would help eliminate early reflections. It would also help with dynamic range. The bad part would be the mismatch of polar response between the woofer and tweeter.

That's almost always a problem, hard to control directivity at low frequencies unless you use a VERY large horn....

tomp wrote:
I have also yet to see a horn that has even enough frequency response for me in real life. It always boils down to tradeoffs and what you like.

Yeah, I hear you. But, the amps supplied to have digital EQ built-in, so depending on how sophisticated the EQ is, and how flat the drivers are, one ought to be able to correct for that.

Of course, it's way out of my budget anyway :angry-banghead:

Roscoe

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 2:20 pm 

Bill Dudleston at Legacy Audio did a very interesting thing with his Whisper speaker. He put two sets of two 15" drivers physically in line with each other on two open baffles spaced 4" apart. The spacing was such that he achieved cancellations between the two dirvers to the sides. Directivity at low frequencies with no horn. He is a very clever guy.

http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/whisper-xd/

Tom

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 4:00 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Considering the prices for high-end commercial speakers & amps, I wonder how this setup would actually work in the home environment: http://www.jblpro.com/products/recordin ... index.html

$20K/pair with bi-amplification and a mic/software for room correction, seems cheap in the world of $40K speakers & $30K amps :roll:

OK TomP, these are right up your alley :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Roscoe

That is a more modern version of what I listen to right now. Probably would ROCK with Rock and Jazz music?