Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Good Cheap DAC Recommendations

August 16th, 2019, 9:49 am

I seem to recall people here recommending good cheap DACs but I couldn't find the thread(s). I just upgraded two motherboards in the two computers I use daily and lost my PCI slots so my sound cards can't be used any longer. I use the audio output built into the motherboard for system sounds and the second audio card or DAC for music only. It feeds a power amplifier and real speakers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially if you've used them.

Dave

Re: Good Cheap DAC Recommendations

August 16th, 2019, 10:17 am

DaveR wrote:I seem to recall people here recommending good cheap DACs but I couldn't find the thread(s). I just upgraded two motherboards in the two computers I use daily and lost my PCI slots so my sound cards can't be used any longer. I use the audio output built into the motherboard for system sounds and the second audio card or DAC for music only. It feeds a power amplifier and real speakers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially if you've used them.

Dave

Just a word -- "good" and "cheap" are mutually exclusive. "Cheap" always implies compromises to limit cost. :character-oldtimer:

August 16th, 2019, 10:34 am

I have two inexpensive DACs you can try. One is the Leaf Audio mini DSD USB DAC and the other is the Khadas Tone Board. Both are around $100. The Khadas is the one I brought to Walt's house which he thought was good.

August 16th, 2019, 10:38 am

Define cheap....

Roscoe

August 16th, 2019, 10:44 am

tomp wrote:I have two inexpensive DACs you can try. One is the Leaf Audio mini DSD USB DAC and the other is the Khadas Tone Board. Both are around $100. The Khadas is the one I brought to Walt's house which he thought was good.

I have to say that the Khadas was surprisingly good. There was no doubt. However, I expect it could be improved with a better power supply. Having said that -- it was competitive with my "he man" Sonic Frontiers DAC.

August 16th, 2019, 10:56 am

Chris Barker of DCHIHIGP suggests this
I am thinking of getting one for a spare
http://dchifigroup.proboards.com/thread/95/new-khadas-tone-board-fantastic

August 16th, 2019, 11:12 am

Just bought one on Amazon along with the case TomP recommended in a sexy red, also on Amazon. They'll be here tomorrow.

August 16th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I'm going to try one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ES9038-ES9038Q ... 4132933340 since I already have a bunch of Pis sitting around ;)

Roscoe

August 16th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Interesting device. It us the same ES DAC ship as the Khadas. There seem to be a number of good choices now for low cast DACs.

August 16th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Not really related to low cost DACs, but if you have a spare ~5 hours of so to do some reading this forum thread (55 pages long) has reviews on several dozen DACs ranging from $400 to about $23000. The reviewers reference is the Shiit Yiggy. It is an internet forum so YMMV but the comparisons actually appear well thought out and concise.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i ... ost-124471
Post a reply