Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

New Russian members?

July 26th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Roscoe,

At another forum I frequent, the moderator there posted this morning that requests to join the forum from Russia have jumped from a historical average of 2-3 per month to several hundred per month over the past few months. I'm curious if you've noticed anything similar?

Re: New Russian members?

July 26th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Yup. Had to change the challenge questions and that’ll slow them down for a while ..

July 26th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Interesting. So, what should we think this is, a pre 2020 election spamming scheme?

July 26th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I moderate on a different forum and this has been a problem for a while now.

July 27th, 2019, 1:54 am

Can we replace some of our old guys for some younger mail order brides?

July 27th, 2019, 7:14 am

I make better chocolate chip cookies. Come try some on 8/11 at the meeting at my house.

July 27th, 2019, 10:51 am

Just a note to say that there is quite a large Russian DIY following not to mention just plain audiophiles. During my DIY travels I challenged a vendor in Ukraine that was selling Russian "Teflon" capacitors. He sent me samples. I'll be damn!! They were definitely Teflon -- they tested as Teflon, and when taking one of them apart, what I ended up with was Teflon. A couple of factories that once manufactured tubes for the military are now manufacturing tubes for audio hobbyists and audio OEMs.

I don't think politics is involved here and being paranoid is not helpful. Those guys are just having the same fun as we are. If by chance politics does find its way into our hobby domain I am sure Roscoe can simple block their political ass. I've seen some very cool Russian DIY projects. There are also Russian audio eBayers out there that are very active.
Post a reply