DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 10:47 am 

One advantage of a streaming service is being able to listen anywhere you can get a decent internet connection. Recently I have experienced weakness in my pelvic muscles that makes it very difficult to stand up or climb stairs. I have been admitted to Johns Hopkins and they are still running tests on me. However I am currently listening to the music from the April Gramophone magizine reviews that looked interesting. Each month I create a playlist on Qobuz that is usually about 35 to 40 hours long.

I'm just using iems on my cellphone but it's wonderful to have music available all the time. I also have some music downloaded.

On the health side, they stopped me taking my statin pill and I am starting to improve. They have done various tests and there are more to come.

Ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 10:55 am 

Hope you get better soon and can get back home.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 11:43 am 

Hope everything turns out fine Ray!

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 11:46 am 

It looks like I will go home on Tuesday. I already have been doing aqua therapy.

Ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 2:50 pm 

No place like home... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

ratbagp wrote:
It looks like I will go home on Tuesday. I already have been doing aqua therapy.

Ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 6:45 pm 

I'll look into it.

Does upgrading my sound card do anything really important, if I'm just duplicating discs to CD-R's?

If you want to know how my system works however, I don't really have a large collection. My rack in my listening room holds about 500 CD's. If a new CD doesn't earn a place in my rack (the CD's that I play very frequently), it goes to a staging area. The staging area is a place where questionable discs remain available to me for a couple years, just in case I find myself retrieving a recording often enough to consider cutting a disc in my regular rack and replacing it. Otherwise it's just the last stop on the way out.

All this complication makes me think however: How many favorites do I actually have?? AND: How important REALLY are they??

I wonder now, if I really need to preserve anything, or if I should just keep operating my system the way I always have. It's a slow but steady turnaround, even though there are a couple discs that have stuck around for 20 years or so, or been replaced after loss/damage, because I didn't want to go without them.

At the very least however, I do want to have the capability to make QUALITY copies, for whatever purposes I might have, and my current computer doesn't really appear to do that very well.

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 6:56 pm 

Off topic I know, but I have made an improvement in one day that has amazed the neurologists here at John's Hopkins and I am being sent home tomorrow. I simply stopped taking my daily statin pill. Even the Neurology Grand Poobah came over to look at me and talk to me.

Of course I am not cured and will require extensive PT but I am immensely relieved.

Ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 7:07 pm 

chris1973 wrote:
I'll look into it.

Does upgrading my sound card do anything really important, if I'm just duplicating discs to CD-R's?

If you want to know how my system works however, I don't really have a large collection. My rack in my listening room holds about 500 CD's. If a new CD doesn't earn a place in my rack (the CD's that I play very frequently), it goes to a staging area. The staging area is a place where questionable discs remain available to me for a couple years, just in case I find myself retrieving a recording often enough to consider cutting a disc in my regular rack and replacing it. Otherwise it's just the last stop on the way out.

All this complication makes me think however: How many favorites do I actually have?? AND: How important REALLY are they??

I wonder now, if I really need to preserve anything, or if I should just keep operating my system the way I always have. It's a slow but steady turnaround, even though there are a couple discs that have stuck around for 20 years or so, or been replaced after loss/damage, because I didn't want to go without them.

At the very least however, I do want to have the capability to make QUALITY copies, for whatever purposes I might have, and my current computer doesn't really appear to do that very well.

Thanks,

Chris

No, your sound card doesn't have any effect on ripping. It's strictly a process of copying bits from one thing to another. ;-)

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 7:07 pm 

I think statins have been over prescribed and issues involving them are becoming more and more common (or recognized by the medical community that pushed them). I am not an MD so do your own research and consult with your physician.

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/statin ... chers-say/

ratbagp wrote:
Off topic I know, but I have made an improvement in one day that has amazed the neurologists here at John's Hopkins and I am being sent home tomorrow. I simply stopped taking my daily statin pill. Even the Neurology Grand Poobah came over to look at me and talk to me.

Of course I am not cured and will require extensive PT but I am immensely relieved.

Ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 9:56 pm 

ratbagp wrote:

Ray

Congratulations!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next