DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 9:55 am 

I think you guys have lost Chris or exploded his head.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 1:37 pm 

If he would state the computer platform (i.e. Windows, MAC, Linux) he is using for digital music it would be a lot easier.

Ripping is one program with about 3 steps.

Playback is about the same.

Streaming is loading a program.

Every one of these things has YouTube videos and folks here willing to help.

I have built Music Servers PC's for folks and it is pretty simple once you start trying.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:10 pm 

The point of the group is that if you think you are getting over your head, there is always someone with the knowledge to help. It always takes work but generally the results are well worth it. And you will learn something new. After that you usually say "gee, that wasn't so bad".

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:31 pm 

I would suggest you get a trial copy of JRiver Media Center for your PC and experiment with ripping and playing back some CDs and see what the experience is like for you.[/quote]

Hey Grover, so this is simply software I download to my computer? I continue to use the same hardware, which is my desktop computer, my current CD player, and a bunch of new CD-R's. The software however improves the transfer, and I get a better quality duplication in the end??? BUT, even if I have several backup CD copies of my favorite recordings, the reflective CD layer has a limited life expectancy. How old are the Pearl Recordings?

Thanks Chris

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm 

Chris,
Yes JRiver is software for the PC that you install and use to rip or play digital music. You can use your PC soundcard to start.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:53 pm 

Guys,

Its getting confusing.
Let one person help Chris. Since he responded to Grover, let the two of them discuss.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
I think you guys have lost Chris or exploded his head.

I think the rub is: Even though I love my HiFi, claim to be a true audiophile, and have several favorite recordings, I don't really feel as if my music collection is any grand accomplishment....and it's probably not that valuable either!

I also don't really believe that even if I lost all my "Favorites", they WOULDN'T ALL simply show up again in an alternative future. As concerned as we all might be about losing things that are valuable to us, I'm relatively certain that the things in this universe that actually DO have VALUE, don't ever completely cease to exist. They can FADE from ATTENTION, but they will ALWAYS return.

I KNOW I'M BACK TO MY USUAL STUFF AGAIN, AND MAYBE NOT EXACTLY TALKING ABOUT AUDIO ANYMORE, BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE WHAT THIS SITE DOES FOR ME BEST.

SORRY :confusion-confused:

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 3:58 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Guys,

Its getting confusing.
Let one person help Chris. Since he responded to Grover, let the two of them discuss.

I'm going to look into what Grover suggested, and If I have further questions I can ask him.

No need to continue the thread.....I've already started ranting!

Chris

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 4:15 pm 

chris1973 wrote:
I would suggest you get a trial copy of JRiver Media Center for your PC and experiment with ripping and playing back some CDs and see what the experience is like for you.

Hey Grover, so this is simply software I download to my computer? I continue to use the same hardware, which is my desktop computer, my current CD player, and a bunch of new CD-R's. The software however improves the transfer, and I get a better quality duplication in the end??? BUT, even if I have several backup CD copies of my favorite recordings, the reflective CD layer has a limited life expectancy. How old are the Pearl Recordings?

Thanks Chris[/quote]

Well, I didn't mean to be too alarmist. The Pearl CDs, along with a lot of other British classical CDs, were manufactured at a specific plant in England back in the 90's and this plant was known to produce defective CDs. Many of them went bad after only a year or two. But since you yourself expressed the desire to preserve your favorities, it would not be a bad idea to back them up. I would back them up to a removable USB hard drive. The last thing you want, IMO, is more CDs floating around.

I suggested JRiver because it's a well-established, affordable, full-service ripper, cataloger and player. It utilizes a pretty good database for locating metadata. It locates cover art, etc., and it produces a decent rip. It also has a very good remote app for mobile devices, both Android and Mac. This is handy for home playback from anywhere in the house on any mobile device, but it also lets you access your music collection when you're on the go if you set it up that way. (I can stream my whole collection from anywhere I have wifi or cell service--the car, airports, hotels, whatever.) It also has a decent visual interface that makes browsing your collection easy and pleasant.

If you're concerned solely with the most accurate rip possible, then you want EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which compares your rip to a gigantic database to achieve a perfect bit-for-bit rip. But it's a sloooow process. I've never been that fussy, myself.

Depending on what kind of collection you have, ripping can be very easy or very frustrating. I have a friend who gave up because it seemed like half his collection never showed up in the free databases. That's why I suggested downloading a demo copy of JRiver and throwing 10 or so CDs in just to see how they turn out, and how convenient you find the process. Just rip them right to the PC, down't worry about storage right now.

As for playback, tell us exactly what kind of CD player/DAC/preamp you have so we can determine how easily you could use it for PC playback. It could be as simple as hooking your PC to it with a USB cable to see how it sounds.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 9:25 am 

I'll just add that I used JRiver to rip all my CDs and their library to identify them and add info cover art etc. Takes about two clicks to do this. Then I started streaming from Tidal and now mainly Qbuz and I almost never listen to what I ripped. 50+ million albums at 16/44 or better beats out the ~1000 or so CDs I ripped. But to preserve a rare or valued CD, JRiver is where I would start. Just don't get caught up in the incremental upgrade scam of JRiver. They offer fairly frequent software upgrades (at discounted prices for existing users) but these upgrades are typically suble, related to video and are not needed IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next