DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artists you never saw
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 6:47 pm 

My wife and I were having our daily wine conversation at dinner tonight and she mentioned a friend who had taken her family to a Rolling Stones concert in Toronto. I then mentioned that I would have liked to have seen Jagger doing his moves etc but being a classical music fan, I never got around to seeing him.

The only other artist I would have really liked to have seen was John Lee Hooker.

Who is on your list of the missed?

In the classical line, I missed Horowitz, Rubenstein, Gould, Karajan and Solti. I was fortunate enough to hear most of the other artists I wanted to see

ray

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pm 

I could have gone to a Stan Rogers concert at the University of Maryland but didn't. A few months after he was killed in a fire on a Air Canada flight. That is the one I regret. I was lucky enough to have seen Utah Phillips many times.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am 

I always wanted to see Blood Sweat & Tears live and I finally had my chance about 20 years ago in Ocean City. It was the original group with David Clayton Thomas and their tech running the mixing desk created the same mix they had on the albums -- it was awesome!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm 

A DJ friend of mine, Alan Smith, better known to listeners as Brother Love, got a pair of tickets for me to see Elvis, 1976. I didn't have a date and wasn't all that crazy about The King, at the time, so I gave the tickets to my parents. Dad didn't want to go, so mom went with Mrs. Jones, our next door neighbor.

The next morning their pictures were below the fold Style (I think) section of The Washington Post. They were floor tickets, a few rows in.

Shortly after, Elvis was gone.

I'm sick to this day.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 2:12 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
A DJ friend of mine, Alan Smith, better known to listeners as Brother Love, got a pair of tickets for me to see Elvis, 1976. I didn't have a date and wasn't all that crazy about The King, at the time, so I gave the tickets to my parents. Dad didn't want to go, so mom went with Mrs. Jones, our next door neighbor.

The next morning their pictures were below the fold Style (I think) section of The Washington Post. They were floor tickets, a few rows in.

Shortly after, Elvis was gone.

I'm sick to this day.

I got roped into visiting Graceland during a business trip. I wasn't fond of the idea right from the beginning -- the voting went 4 to 1. That said -- I didn't regret the visit to Graceland. The gyrator had more gold and platinum records than I could count and even if he got about 50-cents royalty per record, he made about $500-million. The old house is a hoot to see and his office (located in an out-building on the property) was very minimal. He traded under the icon TBZ. "Taking care of Business" Across the street was a gift shop and restaurant with well organized tours. His cars and air planes were there as well. At Graceland -- Elvis is "still alive."

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 4:08 pm 

Too many artists to list. Missed Bowie, Stones, Who etc etc...

I did see the last GD show with Gerry Garcia at RFK. Saw full Pink Floyd, lots of WSP with Mikey

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't get to see Eva Cassidy, but I had the chance to :angry-banghead: ...

I did see Stanley Turrentine at Blues Alley shortly before he passed.

Recently, I've seen Buddy Guy and Robin Trower (different shows) so I've seen a couple that are getting up there...

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 9:30 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
I didn't get to see Eva Cassidy, but I had the chance to :angry-banghead: ...

I did see Stanley Turrentine at Blues Alley shortly before he passed.

Recently, I've seen Buddy Guy and Robin Trower (different shows) so I've seen a couple that are getting up there...

Roscoe

Roscoe just reminded me of a neat experience. At one time there was a Jazz Club/Restaurant across the street from the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Dave Brubeck live after having a nice meal first. COOL!!

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 10:03 am 

Three that I was lucky enough to see live were Alan Stivell at Gaston Hall, Eric Bogel at the FSGW, and Jerome Hines at a Friday morning auditorium program at my high school in the 1960's.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 6:00 pm 

Made me think of all the bands I have seen. I lost many (most?) of the ticket stubs but I kept some of them.

Attachments:
9B5A3F74-4B86-4189-B906-97FDA2D93B69.jpeg
9B5A3F74-4B86-4189-B906-97FDA2D93B69.jpeg [ 166.09 KiB | Viewed 8484 times ]