DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just curious
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 4:34 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Shashi,

I do not believe it is self contradicting. There IS am implication that using multiple drivers allow more SPL over the the entire driver range, but the issue is the driver headroom now allows you to lower the crossover frequency without risk of overdriving the tweeters.

David

I think my point is not made clearly.

The point I am making is from the Paul McGown example of lowering the crossover point of tweeter from 4K to 2K by aggregating multiple tweeters. In such a case, is it not reasonable to assume the Fs of the tweeter is somewhere around 3K? So, the sensitivity at about 2K would be about -10dB below the tweeter sensitivity. If the 2K frequency is raised by 10dB, the normal sensitivity of the aggregated tweeters (in acoustic domain) would also raise by 10dB. That's not a good thing even if ignore the distortions the tweeter generated by running at frequencies outside is designed range.

Tom,

Ofcourse, Fs of 500Hz and Crossover at 2500Hz is not an issue.
I am considering something like Fs of 2000Hz and Crossover of 2500Hz.

Post subject: Re: Just curious
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 8:31 pm 

Fs varies greatly depending on the driver. Some planars have an Fs in the 200 - 400 Hz range. Some AMTs have Fs in the 750 - 2K range. Compression drivers generally fall in the 500 to 1500 Hz range. The SB Acoustics beryllium tweeter I'm using in the eggs has an Fs of 725 Hz.

The point is that above resonance the behavior of multiple drivers is what I described before. Except for bass drivers, using multiple drivers to extend response below resonance is not a good idea when you can use other drivers to handle the lower range. It can give benefits above resonance with the caveats I mentioned.