Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Setting up a mono system

March 5th, 2019, 11:53 am

As a spinoff of the other discussion where I suggested a mono setup for the DIY room at CAF later this year, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how the room could be set up to optimize for mono rather than stereo.

I suspect most of the discussion would center around the position of the speaker, but I wonder if room treatment would be different as well.

I remember my father had a mono system and he placed his bass reflex triangular shaped box in a corner to reinforce the bass, but that is much as I can contribute.

ray

Re: Setting up a mono system

March 5th, 2019, 1:54 pm

For me, soundstage is a HUGE part of music and audio systems. So, why mono?

March 5th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Because a dedicated mono system would be different. I am not suggesting it would be better than stereo but I suspect very few of us have heard 'real mono' in a long time. I suspect properly set up mono is quite different from simply shutting down one channel of stereo or playing a mono record through stereo speakers.

In the reverse direction, I don't think I have ever heard a properly set up multi-channel 'surround sound' system.

Perhaps I value curiosity more than quality. That's why I build.

ray

March 6th, 2019, 9:26 am

We're all different, and that's a good thing. My curiosity takes me down the road to see how good I can make the system I want in the end. The good news is it's getting better so curiosity is paying off for me.

March 6th, 2019, 12:19 pm

ratbagp wrote:Because a dedicated mono system would be different. I am not suggesting it would be better than stereo but I suspect very few of us have heard 'real mono' in a long time. I suspect properly set up mono is quite different from simply shutting down one channel of stereo or playing a mono record through stereo speakers.

ray

Couple of years ago, I auditioned a vintage mono system at DejaVu audio. Excellent. Its a stereo system build driven as mono. You know they do all types of exotic vintage stuff. Not sure if they still have the system but walking in one day.

March 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I admit I enjoy a wide and deep sound stage, but I do not like being a prisoner to the "hot spot"
Mono sounds good no matter where you are in the room, very much like the real thing

March 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Corner loaded horn, with a monoblock amp, autoformer preamp, transcription table, mono phono, true mono cartridge. And we dress and talk like this for the entire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUz1b0HJqo

March 6th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I admit I enjoy a wide and deep sound stage, but I do not like being a prisoner to the "hot spot"
Mono sounds good no matter where you are in the room, very much like the real thing

Which makes it a perfect fit for CAF...

Roscoe

March 6th, 2019, 6:04 pm

I forbid it.

March 6th, 2019, 9:43 pm

And who the ...... are you
Post a reply