DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to find sources
PostPosted: March 5th, 2019, 8:42 pm 

Many people complain about the sound of silver plated copper, Teflon insulated wire. Usually a PTFE insulated wire seems to be silver over copper.

There is an affordable alternative, if 24 AWG is adequate for your needs. Belden 1701LC

https://www.hndme.com/collection/pc/vie ... ategory=38

I strip the outer sheath off and use the wire within as chassis wiring for signal circuits.

I've been pleased, YMMV!

Stuart

PostPosted: March 5th, 2019, 10:16 pm 

Looks good except for the capacitance of 66pf/ft for the complete bundle. The 1800F is 12 pf/ft. Not a problem with a low impedance source but could be in some high output impedance tube preamps and long runs.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2019, 6:23 am 

I never use the bundle. If I was using it as an interconnect, I'd use two of the pairs parallel connected. But I'd remove the pairs from the original sheath and encase them in something which would allow greater separation between the pairs. It's a bit of work, but individual strands are 8'/$1.57. Pairs used as an interconnect are $2'/$1.57 if each pair becomes a paralleled set. Good wire, cheap.

Of course Hamfests and estate sales may net something even better and cheaper.

Stuart

PostPosted: March 6th, 2019, 8:15 am 

I am trying to copy a set of interconnects that sell for $2k.
I really like Dave’s silver s video cables. They are Pure silver and I describe as accurate and not overly bright as one might expect. I am using them in 15 ft length between preamp and amp, and between DAC and preamp. I am still using Monster and Audioquest Ruby’s on my phono set up that has been in place for many years. I was about to order another set of the s video cables off eBay which is about $150 and I would get maybe 4 sets of interconnects. They are a bit of a pain to make up, but they do sound good.

The $2k cables are at another level. No not any way worth the cost compared to David’s cables. But if I can get the bulk cable and get the cost down to $10/ft it will be worthwhile

PostPosted: March 6th, 2019, 4:00 pm 

And I thought I was done with DIY cables.....

Lots of choices there... thanks!

stephen wrote:

PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 9:21 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I am trying to copy a set of interconnects that sell for $2k.
I really like Dave’s silver s video cables. They are Pure silver and I describe as accurate and not overly bright as one might expect. I am using them in 15 ft length between preamp and amp, and between DAC and preamp. I am still using Monster and Audioquest Ruby’s on my phono set up that has been in place for many years. I was about to order another set of the s video cables off eBay which is about $150 and I would get maybe 4 sets of interconnects. They are a bit of a pain to make up, but they do sound good.

The $2k cables are at another level. No not any way worth the cost compared to David’s cables. But if I can get the bulk cable and get the cost down to $10/ft it will be worthwhile

With the new AECO RCA connectors it's a much easier task to terminate. The back shell has a large enough diameter opening to accommodate the cable better.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm 

I need more of those connectors, but could not remember the name, was going to ask you, so thanks

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 10:52 am 
Site Admin

DaveR wrote:
With the new AECO RCA connectors it's a much easier task to terminate. The back shell has a large enough diameter opening to accommodate the cable better.

:confusion-confused: Which AECO RCA is which? They make several models....

Roscoe

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 12:29 pm 

By reducing the size of the conductor and path, to reduce Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance reaction when signal transmit .

Good to know that they work well, because this little scientific explanation is a little bit incorrect. To be kind.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Stuart Polansky wrote:
By reducing the size of the conductor and path, to reduce Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance reaction when signal transmit .

Good to know that they work well, because this little scientific explanation is a little bit incorrect. To be kind.

Not as ridiculous as the quantum purifier "explanation"...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next