DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm 

I am new to using headphones and recently purchased a Massdrop version of the Sennheiser 600 series. I like them because they are very comfortable and the sound is decent.

When I use the headphones I listen to classical music on Qobuz, usually recent releases. Most recordings sound like the music is confined to my head but occasionally a recording comes along that has a soundstage. The instruments are out there in front of me and quite distinct.

Presuming the effect is part of the recording, how is it done? And why aren't all modern recordings like that?

ray

PostPosted: February 16th, 2019, 8:52 pm 

I there are “binaural” recordings out there and that might what you were hearing.
When I was talking with Bill Dudleson of Leagacy he mentioned that he is working on a box that will get the music out front for headphone users as well as headphones that have this feature built in.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2019, 8:58 pm 

There are processors with varying degrees of success for creating a sound stage with headphones. Crossfeed circuits come to mind as one.

The best I have heard are what Paul said are binaural recordings, usually done with dummy head stereo mics.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 4:26 pm 

A few years back Sony experimented with a processor to mimic your Head Rated Transfer Function (HRTF) which is the interaction of your ear canals, pinnae, head, nose, and shoulders with the incoming sound. That allows your two ears to distinguish sound direction in other than the left/rightdirections. The HRTF introduces comb filtering which your brain uses to determine space. There has been a huge amount of work referenced in the AES Journal on HRTF. It is interesting to note that most of it is not driven for the headphone group but the gamers who want to be surrounded by the sound effects of the games.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 5:34 pm 

Thanks for the replies. It's been an interesting experience using headphones.

ray