DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 4:24 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Steve, Relax.

This is not one of those forums where there are thousands of active users, hundreds of active threads and several full-time moderators. Roscoe is doing us a favor by making this forum available to us in his free time. Last time I checked, he pays for it and he has full-time job.

The number of active participants here is in single digits and we all know each other outside of this forum. Participants here are not interacting with strangers for the most part. The familiarity of participants makes for casual interaction and sometimes things get heated in debates. OTOH, we go weeks without any posts.

While I agree that your project post got side tracked, I cannot place the blame only the people giving response. You were direction less for most part. Even now, you are asking what size board to get for mounting the crossover. I havent seen any indication that you are entertaining the help videos provided by PE.

Having said that, lets keep expectations realistic in this forum. For most part we are friends and we behave that way.

What I find strange in this thread is, the people the three people who are complaining (and I support their complaints) are not active participants. I guess they are happen to go three weeks without any activity here than a silly argument among friends.

I'm talking about long ago. Roscoe shut me down for political reasons but the whole situation should have never happened on the first place. That's my point.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 7:16 pm 

Attachment:
Steve-Relax.PNG
Steve-Relax.PNG [ 41.23 KiB | Viewed 7961 times ]

Attachment:
Posts.PNG
Posts.PNG [ 38.6 KiB | Viewed 7961 times ]

Shashi,

Grover, Bruce and I are "not active participants"? Really?

Your condescending tone, one which is quite common in your posts, as well as is your confrontational and "know-it-all" approach to conversation are a major factor, at least for me, in avoiding this forum. Sad thing is, DIY audio is such an attraction and so many friends are here (even if they are just watching) that I can't stay away.

Tom and Roscoe asked me to come back after the last time we had words, you were unaware of "off the board" facts and made accusations towards me. You seriously ticked me off. Like you did with Paul.

Tom and I have had a go at it or two (okay maybe ten or more, LOL) because,again, the need to be right and prove superior knowledge. I'm hardly without blame.

We are always willing to listen, but don't preach, berate or tell us that we wrong on subjects about which we actually do know very, very well. I, and many others are here to have a conversation, to share and to learn. No one here needs to provide citations to you to prove their point. When we get to that point people rightly avoid the conversation, not wanting to get involved in a heated argument.

Walt and I certainly have had our arguments, and they have no place on this board.

I quit posting on here because of you three. In conversations with other guys who no longer participate, the common thread is, to paraphrase "I don't want to get involved in that shit". So, I'm not the only one reluctant to contribute for fear of THIS.

That Bruce started this thread was quite a surprise. When Grover chimed in, it was unexpected. I wasn't surprised that your conciliatory note ended with still another jab instead of an outstretched hand.

Joe Roberts and others speak well of you, They say that in person, you are quite personable. I know you to be quite generous. Thank you again for the parts (and please send me your PayPal address!!!!!). You have given to Steve and I'm sure others.

The point here is that you are a good guy. Please take a look at how you come across in on-line conversation. Read back some of the back posts. Perhaps you'll want to make a change.

Tom, you and Walt try to help and (like me) brag about accomplishments. Help is wonderful, generous thing. But your way ain't the only way. Many of your posts come across as teacher>student. It's disrespectful of the many people here that are knowledgeable, and to treat them as though they are ignorant of the basics is outright rude. Dave Berning's latest post in your power supply thread was informative without being overbearing. You have lots of valuable information, much to contribute, and most of us are thankful, but please ease off. And, when you guys disagree, get a room!

Maybe then, the silent members here will feel like contributing again.

Yeah, yeah, and I know I'm a dick! LOL!

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 7:54 pm 

Stuart:

Just one comment. If you look at a lot of my posts you will see that many times I have said that there is no one right way. This is DIY and if what you do doesn't make you happy why bother. Yes, I am very much involved in many of the details of the technical issues because they matter to me. That is why I suggested having a technical subsection because there may be only a few people including yourself who want to get down into the weeds.

For most people it may not be necessary and in fact distracting to get into that type of conversation. I get that, but this is an open forum and just as others should not tell you what is the best cartridge or speaker, no one should tell you to not carry on a thorough conversation about a technical issue. Should that level of technical discourse hijack another thread? Nope. And for when I have done that I again apologize. But there needs to be a mechanism to allow that level of discussion which may become passionate at times to get to the bottom of these issues which can sometimes be quite thorny. Sometimes the old adage "no pain, no gain" can apply to audio but it should not be foisted on all.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 8:19 pm 

You are confusing the term active users with veterans/seniors.

Time to put this behind...

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 7:39 am 

I am not quite sure if anything can really be done about some of the negatives. There are a lot of good info that comes from members with lots of experience in this field. The one-up-manship does get very tiresome. Just take it all with a grain of salt.
Everything is so subjective and everything matters.
Let’s just decide to be civil in our comments and suggestions.
You are the only one that enjoys the smell of you own farts.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 8:42 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

Have you performed a double blind test on this?

ray

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 9:01 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

Hey, my farts don't smell. Usually.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 3:23 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I am not quite sure if anything can really be done about some of the negatives. There are a lot of good info that comes from members with lots of experience in this field. The one-up-manship does get very tiresome. Just take it all with a grain of salt.
Everything is so subjective and everything matters.
Let’s just decide to be civil in our comments and suggestions.

Actually, if anyone bothered to read the thread, it was a continuous but civil debate strictly on the technical issues.

Once there was an attempt to make it personal. I cut it off.
I guarantee you haven't read the thread either, hence the last line in your post.

And if people expect me to apologize for the misunderstanding on their part, it aint gonna happen. Neither Tom, Walt or me did anything wrong IMO. We have our opinions on technical issues and we debated them.

If you don't like debates, say so, I will oblige. But, don't make negative comments on the participants.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2019, 11:42 am 

Cogito wrote:
Neither Tom, Walt or me did anything wrong IMO. We have our opinions on technical issues and we debated them.

If you don't like debates, say so, I will oblige. But, don't make negative comments on the participants.

An observation- you guys know each other, and if you want to have rude, insulting, impolite "debates" about issues, you certainly are free to do so privately. I agree with those who have suggested that the tone of those who post the majority of the time has to potential to have a chilling effect on others. If you guys are rude and insulting to each other when you debate issues, it's not a welcoming environment for someone to join in. Therefore, it tends to become a closed, private conversation.

I enjoy reading the content of discussions - the more quality DIY info and ideas I can soak up, the better. But maybe I'm looking at this group in the wrong way -- if this is an invitation-only group, maybe I should look at these as private conversations among friends (or at least acquaintances); if so, while I'm permitted to be here, I can either accept it or just not read it. I don't know anybody in this group except Roscoe, and since I live in NJ, I am rarely in the area, and therefore don't have the personal relationships that many of you do.

As I have noticed in many places on the internet, I don't know why conversations here are conducted in an insulting, rude way, and I won't speculate. A little adherence to the Golden Rule would, in my opinion, go a long way to making this forum more hospitable to additional voices. (The problem with the Golden rule, of course, is that some people apparently don't mind being treated poorly!)

Pete

P.S. I drafted this a few days ago but held off sending it. What I've seen since then doesn't make me think any differently.