DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 10:32 am 

Cogito wrote:
SoundMods wrote:

Some nice single-malt certainly helps. :lol:

What's your favorite single malt?
Few years ago, I discovered Total Wines and More has their own brand (dont recall the name). It is Balvenie single malt. Very smooth.

I am fond of Talisker Storm from the Isle of Skye when I can get it. It a small batch product. Other then that I go for Balvenie Double Wood. The liquor store near my house is run by one of your "brothers" from India who happens to be a Scotch drinker himself and is very selective.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 10:36 am 
Site Admin

For the money, I think it's hard to beat Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 year old...

Roscoe

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 10:39 am 

Oddly enough I only want to drink Scotch whisky when it's raining. My wife didn't like the stuff until she tried some in Pitlochry in Scotland and it was pouring rain. She then developed a taste for the stuff and my bottles don't last as long now.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2010/05/sco ... eries.html

My favourite is Lagavulin but if you get the chance, try Amrut from India.

http://www.amrutdistilleries.com/

Getting back to the photography question, how much of the quality of a photo comes from the camera / lense or from the post production on the computer?

ray

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 10:44 am 
Site Admin

If you don't get it right in-camera, all you're doing is polishing a turd...

Roscoe

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 10:56 am 

So Photoshop should be renamed Turdpolishershop? Even the traditional wet processing was essentially trying to make the image 'better'.

ray

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 11:19 am 

There is no doubt that getting the best image possible when capturing that image is the best way to go. However I have never seen an image that could not be improved. At one time I worked with Ansel Adams in the pursuit of the best images at the capturing phase. We had come out with a new light meter that would facilitate his Zone System. A copy of one of the letters from him is in this post.

Even with the best equipment, location, and spending huge amounts of time for the right conditions, Adams still spent a lot of time in the darkroom. The images you see widely distributed today were not the result of "polishing a turd" but rather making a good image better. Post processing is not an excuse for being sloppy in the capture phase or else you will wind up "polishing the turd" you have captured. It will however correct for some of the inevitable compromises made in the capture phase. Great pictures are the result of concentrated efforts at all stages of the process.

Attachments:
Ansel Adams Letter_small.jpg
Ansel Adams Letter_small.jpg [ 340.6 KiB | Viewed 7680 times ]

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 11:21 am 

ratbagp wrote:
Oddly enough I only want to drink Scotch whisky when it's raining. My wife didn't like the stuff until she tried some in Pitlochry in Scotland and it was pouring rain. She then developed a taste for the stuff and my bottles don't last as long now.

Getting back to the photography question, how much of the quality of a photo comes from the camera / lense or from the post production on the computer?

ray

Let me put it this way. I used to think I was a "hot rod" photographer. An audio buddy's daughter was attending Maryland Institute (an Arts college) and was into oils, acrylics, and sculpture.

I got her interested in photography and her Dad sprang for a nice SLR to get her started. Her first efforts -- I mean her very first efforts behind the lens -- made my efforts look like a 5-year old took pictures with a box camera. She had that special artist's eye that created magic on film. She was equally at home with B&W or color. Her dark-room efforts at school were also exceptional. So -- it ain't the camera (although that helps) it's the artist behind the view finder.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
ratbagp wrote:

ray

Let me put it this way. I used to think I was a "hot rod" photographer. An audio buddy's daughter was attending Maryland Institute (an Arts college) and was into oils, acrylics, and sculpture.

I got her interested in photography and her Dad sprang for a nice SLR to get her started. Her first efforts -- I mean her very first efforts behind the lens -- made my efforts look like a 5-year old took pictures with a box camera. She had that special artist's eye that created magic on film. She was equally at home with B&W or color. Her dark-room efforts at school were also exceptional. So -- it ain't the camera (although that helps) it's the artist behind the view finder.

Amen to that. I took a course in digital imaging at RIT and there was a woman there who did not know the first thing about technology but took photos with a point and shoot camera that put any of mine to shame. She definitely had the creative eye.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 12:18 pm 

It is not about the tools, it is what you do with them

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm 

ratbagp wrote:

ray

When you say quality, I presume you are talking about picture quality and not artistic quality.

It depends. For regular usage, a decent pre packaged Camera Kit (Body + Lenses) is good enough.

For "experts", I would put 60% in lens, 30% in Camera and 10% in post processing.