DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 1:56 pm 

There is a big difference between shooting at an event such as CAF and shooting in a studio. I used to teach commercial lighting for two weeks every summer at the Winona School of Professional Photography.

http://www.winonaphotoschool.org

Once you get past the fundamentals of how to use the equipment, the most important thing in the studio is to be a good illustrator. You are then not just capturing an image but creating it using placement, lighting, camera position, different lenses, perspective correction, props, etc. Being at a live event entails a whole new set of requirements and constraints. I have done both and they are not the same. I'm sure Paul has a handle on those requirements or his pictures would not turn out so well.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 2:29 pm 

Paul is a professional photographer, retired. He's not a wanna be, he's the genuine article. I believe he knows what he's doing and how to get the results he's after better than anyone else on this board and his photos are the proof.[/quote]

Not only is Paul a professional now (yes he gets paid for his production), but those that do not know him do not know that he earned his living with photography during his evil past. All those wanna-be photographers out there would do well to learn the art and equipment (especially the equipment available today) before coming up with unsolicited advice.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 2:39 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
Paul is a professional photographer, retired. He's not a wanna be, he's the genuine article. I believe he knows what he's doing and how to get the results he's after better than anyone else on this board and his photos are the proof.

Not only is Paul a professional now (yes he gets paid for his production), but those that do not know him do not know that he earned his living with photography during his evil past. All those wanna-be photographers out there would do well to learn the art and equipment (especially the equipment available today) before coming up with unsolicited advice.[/quote]

A big Amen to that Walt.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the kind words guys

Do not play his stupid games any more

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm 

I learned not to post where he might reply.

Paul, your pictures and skill are amazing! Congratulations and well done.

A couple of posters here know more than anyone else, regardless of the topic.

I frequent to learn.

I hope you do keep posting, Paul, but understand if you decided not to.

Stuart

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm 

Hey Paul,
Just to make it clear, my description of your camera (or any modern FF DSLR) as more than sufficient to handle show conditions was not in any way intended to belittle your skill as a photographer. Your photos are really good in terms of composition, and overall effect and not just technically good. I have had some pretty nice camera gear but that does not in any way mean you will automatically get good photographs. Lots of people think it is the gear but it is really the eye, experience and the creativity of the photographer that counts!

Pelliott321 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words guys

Do not play his stupid games any more

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 4:58 pm 

This post is not about Paul or his skills. I agree Paul is an excellent photographer and I did not mean to imply Paul is not a professional photographer. I used the term in a different context which Paul mentioned during CAF. I can share it here if he deserves.

The contents of this post is for the rest of us. As I mentioned earlier, those images have 72dpi resolution. In all likelihood, the publisher reduced the resolution to save the bandwidth. At home to print, we use a minimum of 300dpi for photos, preferably 600dpi. DSLRs have many millions of pixes/sq. inch. It is not possible to really judge quality of a photo at 72dpi. Below are two photos at 72dpi and 300dpi. First picture make you think its a bad shot, where as the actual culprit is in lowering of resolution.

Attachment:
72dpisample.jpg
72dpisample.jpg [ 11.21 KiB | Viewed 7544 times ]

Attachment:
300dpisample.jpg
300dpisample.jpg [ 27.06 KiB | Viewed 7544 times ]

Paul, don't take it personally. Sorry, my constructive criticism made you feel bad.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 6:50 pm 

My original pics where 300dpi and were over 22mb each.
I reduced the size so they would load faster. Part Time Audiophile converted down again to 72dpi and did other stuff for thier website
You came across as the only one who knows about photography , just like you are the only one who's knows about horns and the only one who knows about every thing. It really gets old
There I said it. I did not want to but there it is........

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 8:00 pm 

Not only is Paul a good photographer he's got "stones" as well. :clap:

PostPosted: November 17th, 2018, 10:33 am 

SoundMods wrote:
Not only is Paul a good photographer he's got "stones" as well. :clap:

Hopefully not kidney stones. :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next