Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Horney in Denver

October 6th, 2018, 10:48 pm

I thought that was the equipment boxes stacked against the wall.

What kind of rack is that?

Re: Image movement based on frequency

October 7th, 2018, 8:01 am

no rack, just electronics in same size chassis, just stacked up neatly

October 7th, 2018, 11:14 am

Do they have an electronic means to compensate for the wildly different sound source positions? It seems like the spacing between the horns would lead to coherency and imaging problems otherwise.

October 7th, 2018, 11:28 am

I heard nothing coherent.

October 7th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Found this review by Herb Reichert

Everything in the system is sold à la carte. The five field-coil compression drivers total $265,000! The carbon-fiber horns cost over $370,000. The electronics shown come in beautiful hardwood-framed cabinets featuring Chinese-style mortise and tenon "leg" joints. The faceplates are decorated with reproductions of classic Chinese art. The electronics add another $200,000 to the system price.

Perhaps you are wondering, how did it all sound?

I listened to a variety of Chinese and European music and . . . I am sorry to say; I had trouble finding much sonic or musical merit. Transients were fast, but seemed disembodied. The system struggled to register accurate tone. Vocals were brittle and sometimes piercing. Frequency response seemed off kilter.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/her ... hZHs6hF.99

October 8th, 2018, 11:04 am

Sounds like what I would expect given the arrangement of the drivers.

October 8th, 2018, 2:50 pm

I'm guessing this quote from Paul McGowan's morning email is referring to these speakers.

..."Kevin Jackson grabbed my arm and hauled me down the hall to see the biggest horn speakers I had ever laid eyes on. Wow. But then the music started playing and I found myself aghast at its sonic assault. My jaw dropped and I looked around the filled room for the reaction of others. Toe tapping and smiles. Do they not hear what I hear?"...

October 8th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Like I said I heard nothing coherent, but I am just a dumb white guy

October 8th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I am just a dumb white guy

And you are guilty of all the world’s evils. :D :D :D
Post a reply