DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arrow and Handmade
PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 7:37 am 

Just a note for DIYers here. If you don't know about Octopart, you're probably paying too much. Look up your non-audiophile parts here and compare prices. For some pots I need, Digi-Key was almost $7 each with discounts for over 50. Mouser was about a buck cheaper, with discounts at 10. Arrow was about $4.40 with FREE OVERNIGHT shipping! ARROW TTFMF!

Handmade has lost it since losing Cardas products and lots of good caps (PPFX, RTE, etc.). No free shipping, but overnight delivery and fair prices. They still have a stock of great sounding IRC resistors, but they too are dwindling. No idea what to use once the GS-3s are gone. The PRP 1/2 watters seem okay, but no 3-watt equivalent.

Post subject: Re: Arrow and Handmade
PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 9:17 am 

I've been buying from Arrow for quite a while now. Their website can be a pain in the ass, especially if you're looking for a particular item but don't know who might make it or the part number. However, their prices seem to be the best around and they do ship overnight for free. I recently ordered a bunch of slow blow fuses, probably 10 different values. Each value was individually bagged in anti-static bags, labeled and there had to be 10-15 pieces of paper with pick info, packing list, whatever. I can't imaging they made any money on this order.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 3:58 pm 

Arrow's shipment arrived this morning from Reno.

For the first time ever, Handmade failed to deliver from Allentown, PA, to Maryland, in one day.

And they charged $12+ to ship $22 worth of products (resistors) that could fit in the palm of your hand.

Oh well....

PostPosted: September 1st, 2018, 1:38 pm 

Because of pricing I usually start at Arrow and then go to Newark or Digikey to find what I need. That is if I can't find it on ebay. For connectors and other stuff, Parts Express can be good along with Monoprice and Markertek.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2018, 2:34 pm 

I owe Tony at Handmade an apology. He really did ship almost instantaneously. UPS lost the package. He helped me find it. His reputation is intact. Unfortunately, the excellent IRC resistors are still going away, and Cardas cut him off without warning, a real backstabbing move. He needs to find substitutes for those excellent products.

Give Tony your business when you can, he goes above and beyond.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 8:52 pm 

If your just getting a few small parts from Tony have him ship USPS. Much cheaper. He's a great guy, I've been buying stuff from him for 20 years. The Cardas thing really irritates me.

Charlie

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 11:29 pm 

Tony sent me this yesterday.

September 25, 2018

I knew a shop steward at UPS in Bethlehem, PA and he had mentioned they have occasional patrols
where workers go through the machinery and conveyors for packages that go astray.They always find
a few.

I held off responding about the connectors until I got some samples in of a line I thought might have some promise.

There is not a lot out there that is new or exciting. Most connectors are made in China now and the bulk of them
are price point engineered. A few companies produce nice ones but you have to be careful because they produce
grades of connector. The same design could be made of the cheapest brass or a high grade conductor but they
all look a like. You have to find an honest agent and as always, the best materials will always cost more then the
cheap variety.

I always liked the WBT connectors but since their last price increase a few years ago interest in them have died.

As for Cardas....

A.C., Handmade

He is a great guy. I'll continue to buy from him. But after what Cardas did to him, I'll need to find another quality connector and wire. Damn if I'll reward back stabbing behavior!

It was on your recommendation that I bought from them in the first place, Charlie. A great recommendation. Thanks.

Stuart