Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Isolation transformers

July 8th, 2018, 4:51 pm

I always float the ground first to see how it sounds. I know this is dangerous, but I am still here, even though with what's going on in the world I have to ask why? or is it worth it?
anyway here is my Felix
Attachments
felix_sm.jpg
felix_sm.jpg (137.99 KiB) Viewed 8693 times

July 8th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:I use the Felix on my analog devices and have a special filter for digital devices that blocs trash both ways.
I plan to use the iso tranny I got and build another box that will incorporate both filters, two zone as it were one for digital and another for analog
not putting anything on power amps.
Im no wondering about the Quad 67 power supplies, what to put on them

Hey Paul! When my Acoustats were in my system I added Corcom filters and I'll be damn if the sound wasn't improved. As it turns out the bias can be corrupted in a way to mess with the sound reproducition even though its just a charge on the diaphragm.

July 8th, 2018, 5:17 pm

I still do not know what Corcom filters are

July 8th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Look at my post on page 3. Corcom is a brand name of some high quality filters. If you magnify the photo I provided you can see the schematic of how it is laid out, all inside a sealed and grounded metal case. There are lots of other high quality noise filters in both stand alone and component designs that should be used in an enclosure.

July 8th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Does not look much different from the Felix
The iso xformers I bought has a very similar filter on the primary side

July 8th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Lots of different ways to do it. The advantage of the packaged units is the designs are thoroughly tested and they only have to be plugged in. Different strokes for different folks.

August 6th, 2018, 2:55 pm

I decided to take the plunge and give an iso xformer a try. I bought a 10a unit off ebay but it needed work to bring it up to minimum clean audio requirements.
iso1.jpg
iso1.jpg (131.16 KiB) Viewed 8534 times

The unit has a nice big Toroid.com xformer, but it has a switch for 110/220 VAC and a real crappy (although it had a CorCom filter in it) mains switch with fuses
iso4.jpg
iso4.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 8533 times

Also it uses IEC jack for out put, so I am replacing them (with a little metal work with PS Hospital grade 20 amp duplex. Not sure what "Hospital Grade" means)
iso2.jpg
iso2.jpg (139.55 KiB) Viewed 8534 times
Last edited by Pelliott321 on August 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

August 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm

What I do not understand is the grounding scheme
iso3.jpg
iso3.jpg (98.19 KiB) Viewed 8533 times

what you see here is on the right post are ground wires for the input mains and the output sockets
what was on the left post was the ground(or shield) from the xformer.
Why did the manufacturer do this? What was gained?

August 6th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I don't have a clue why there are two posts right next to each other on the same chassis if in fact they are both connected to the chassis. I also have never seen the symbol on the left. Here are the most common symbols for grounds.
Attachments
Ground symbols.png

August 6th, 2018, 7:19 pm

There is absolutely no measurable (to 3 decibel points) resistance between them
I would understand if there was a 1 to 10 ohm resistor between them, so its a big question.
Post a reply