DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 1:15 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I understand that MOV are sacrificial. I was not aware of any other types
please enlighten

Rather than spend pennies with no guarantee -- you might consider a whole device. Click on the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-80 ... 540660-_-N

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 1:53 pm 

Very good idea for external problems as there is more than your audio equipment that can go up in smoke. For internal noise where the energy is many orders of magnitude lower than a lightning strike, the power supply design of the equipment should be able to filter out the noise. There are exceptions as I discussed with the ground noise generated by my laptop.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 3:50 pm 

I think the Home Depot device may be sacrificial

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Could be but still a better choice than all your stuff blowing up. If you want something that can be used over again you probably want something that uses MOVs for fast response plus an electronic crowbar circuit in parallel. The MOVs will break down faster but before the average power dissipation gets too high to fry the MOVs the crowbar will trip shorting out the MOVs and the line. That can be a Triac, two back to back SCRs, or one SCR inside a bridge. Remember that because the device will present a short across the line once triggered you need to have the appropriate fuse/breaker in series to interrupt the current. The I2T rating of the device must be higher than the I2T pass through rating of the fuse or breaker or else the device will also be destroyed.

Whatever device you use, the trigger circuit for the device must be able to supply a large amount of gate current very quickly to make sure the trigger current gets across the whole die quickly or else there is a real chance that the area around the gate connection will melt from all the current going through that limited area. Also you should pick a device that has a high di/dt rating which is an indicator of how fast the whole die will turn on.

I have build devices like that to protect some circuits in remote locations subject to lightning surges that used fuses as the ultimate protection device. The crowbars worked successfully as indicated by the blown fuses but no blown circuitry. Forget trying to protect anything from a direct lightening hit. Hundreds of millions of volts coupled with thousands of amps will turn anything to gases and flying parts. However, most surges are caused by induced voltages and currents from nearby hits much like induced voltages from transformer primaries to secondaries work.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 4:51 pm 

tomp wrote:
Could be but still a better choice than all your stuff blowing up. If you want something that can be used over again you probably want something that uses MOVs for fast response plus an electronic crowbar circuit in parallel. The MOVs will break down faster but before the average power dissipation gets too high to fry the MOVs the crowbar will trip shorting out the MOVs and the line. That can be a Triac, two back to back SCRs, or one SCR inside a bridge. Remember that because the device will present a short across the line once triggered you need to have the appropriate fuse/breaker in series to interrupt the current. The I2T rating of the device must be higher than the I2T pass through rating of the fuse or breaker or else the device will also be destroyed.

Whatever device you use, the trigger circuit for the device must be able to supply a large amount of gate current very quickly to make sure the trigger current gets across the whole die quickly or else there is a real chance that the area around the gate connection will melt from all the current going through that limited area. Also you should pick a device that has a high di/dt rating which is an indicator of how fast the whole die will turn on.

I have build devices like that to protect some circuits in remote locations subject to lightning surges that used fuses as the ultimate protection device. The crowbars worked successfully as indicated by the blown fuses but no blown circuitry. Forget trying to protect anything from a direct lightening hit. Hundreds of millions of volts coupled with thousands of amps will turn anything to gases and flying parts. However, most surges are caused by induced voltages and currents from nearby hits much like induced voltages from transformer primaries to secondaries work.

To add insult to injury -- Mr. Lightning marches to the tune of his own drum. Not only can he sneak in through power feeds, but also telephone lines, and in the case of large properties with walkway and roadway lighting, Mr. Lightning uses that path as well. Luckily I've never had anything fried either here or at my old house even when a strike took down a tree in my back yard that trashed the 13-kV overhead lines and the associated pole-mounted transformer. That doesn't mean it can't happen. A friend in upstate New York lost a bunch of stuff that was mainly his refrigerator, HVAC, TV, and his phono stage. To add insult to injury -- in the process 300-feet of 120/240-volt lines to his house was cooked and it was his nickel $$$. I should do more for myself but at least my video set-up is protected by a Tripplite AC conditioner and surge protector.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm 

this is what I installed on my dedicated 20A amp line:

https://www.brickwall.com/collections/i ... -protector

Only $279 and super easy to install.

Pelliott321 wrote:
I understand that MOV are sacrificial. I was not aware of any other types
please enlighten

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 6:21 pm 

The weirdest one I ever had was at one of our retail locations in downtown Chicago. It was in a 6 story building that was concrete with a steel frame. The building took a direct lightning strike that was shunted through the steel skeleton to ground. All of our data terminals died but it was not due to feedback into the power supplies from the mains. Rather, the current through the skeleton acted like a primary winding of a transformer and even though only "1 turn" it was so high that it induced significant voltage on the data lines running through the building. That voltage took out all the data entry circuitry in the terminals so that even though they would power up no data could get through. We found some surge protectors for RJ45 connections use for data input and we never had another problem. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 6:25 pm 

tomp wrote:
The weirdest one I ever had was at one of our retail locations in downtown Chicago. It was in a 6 story building that was concrete with a steel frame. The building took a direct lightning strike that was shunted through the steel skeleton to ground. All of our data terminals died but it was not due to feedback into the power supplies from the mains. Rather, the current through the skeleton acted like a primary winding of a transformer and even though only "1 turn" it was so high that it induced significant voltage on the data lines running through the building. That voltage took out all the data entry circuitry in the terminals so that even though they would power up no data could get through. We found some surge protectors for RJ45 connections use for data input and we never had another problem. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!

I am not surprised!

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 6:30 pm 

With the growth of people building their own powerwalls, perhaps it is time to investigate battery power.

electrek.co/2018/04/17/diy-li-ion-battery/

ray

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 7:25 am 

I've been looking at power walls. But then one has to choose an inverter that is audio friendly.
I was going to start with Li batteries for my digital stuff since it is all low voltage DC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next