DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 8:28 am 

My gut feeling without looking at the details is that if you are going to use the powerwall to provide isolation from line noise it will be a very expensive solution and may introduce more problems than it solves. DB can probably provide more info on inverter and switch mode power supply noise but I think you may create lots of noise problems.

If you want to do a test to see if a very clean AC supply makes any difference I can loan you a Crown Studio Reference amplifier that can be strapped to swing over 200 volts at full output. I can also loan you a very low distortion signal generator. You can precisely set the 60 Hz frequency with the signal generator and feed it to the amp. You can then use the volume control to set the exact voltage output. Since that amp has an output impedance around 2 milliohms. it has a very stable output voltage. I can guarantee that the power will be cleaner that way than with a battery driven inverter.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 10:58 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I've been looking at power walls. But then one has to choose an inverter that is audio friendly.
I was going to start with Li batteries for my digital stuff since it is all low voltage DC.

Be careful. Lithium Ion batteries are a mixed bag. If not designed and manufactured properly they can be unstable. My choice would be Nickel Metal Hydride. Or possibly Gel Cell batteries.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm 

I was pondering doing B+ with cells in series and filaments with cells in parallel rather than doing an inverter. There had to have been a lot of tubes that were designed for lower B+ voltages.

ray

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 4:45 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
I was pondering doing B+ with cells in series and filaments with cells in parallel rather than doing an inverter. There had to have been a lot of tubes that were designed for lower B+ voltages.

ray

Actually there were. Portable radios (if you want to give credit to their portability) used tubes that had low B+ requirements. But there is no guarantee that those tubes would suit your audiophile purposes. Just one example would be the 12AE6A triode, running on a B+ of 36V. Also automobile radios way back when had tubes. My Dad's 1955 Dodge had an awesome tube radio using 6V6s in push-pull. It got the B+ from a multi-vibrator that stepped up the 6-volt system. Since the tubes had 6-volt filaments it was natural fit.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm 

Even though I've been in this house for 15 years with no hits that caused damage, I think I am going with the whole house solution that Walt suggested. It seems to be a good compromise, without spending big bucks.
With all the BMA and smart chargers available now I think the LiO battery solution makes sense as long as one uses premium batteries and stay away from cheap Chinese imports. Using the battery to maintain charge on super capacitor looks like a good low impedance solution. Plenty of you tube help with this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10