DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:08 am 

Stuart. Good questions. My answer is I don't have a clue. I was just passing along preliminary information about a new medium. Too bad it had to turn into a pissing match over something for which there is no definitive answer because it's all about what you like. That concept seems to be beyond the comprehension of some people who feel they are not whole unless they can prove their way is the best.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:14 am 

Thanks Tom. I look forward to updates.

Stuart

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:14 am 

tomp wrote:
Paul hit it right on the head. I was not in any way condeming vinyl. I only said it was a personal opinion. As such, there can be no right or wrong. And as I have said many times before, any technology properly done gives great results. As far as the microgrove reigning supreme, that is an opinion just as high resolution digital reigning supreme is another opinion. It all boils down to whatever floats your boat.

Yet it is the experience of many others that shares my boat. Turntables, cartridges, phono stages, and vinyl sales corroborate my experience. Magazine reviews endorsing vinyl over digital.

My "gee-wiz" moment at the last CAF was some high-quality mono LPs played correctly with the appropriate high quality mono cartridge. The vendor had two arms -- one with a stereo cartridge and one with a mono cartridge. The same recording was A/Bd between the two choices. It was interesting that the same record played with a mono cartridge had a "bloom" to the mid-range that was missing with the stereo cartridge. WTF?!

None of the digital-sourced systems at the show provided the "walking out the room while muttering to myself" experience.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:25 am 

I am currently listening to the new Murray Perrahia recording of Betthoven's Hammerklavier using the French streaming service Qobuz. I am glad I did not buy the recording but I am pleased that I heard the performance. Later in the day I will listen to other recommended recordings from the March 2018 edition of the English magazine, the Gramophone. Most of the music will be familiar, some new to me. Some artists will be familiar, most will be new to me.

My father died about 20 years ago, but he would be fascinated by what I am doing now, because in the end, it is all about the music. It's healthy to explore the new but also to enjoy what is special from the past. I still listen to my digitized CD collection and records and enjoy them, but I tend to play the musical performances I enjoy rather than the recordings that 'sound good'.

Qobuz does not seem to be available in the USA but my understanding is that the service will become available later this year. So far I am still using the CD quality service because my DAC does not do Hi-res but I will probably upgrade later in the year. I will ask the group what is good and not too expensive later in the year.

In addition I can download albums to my phone and I can stream music if I have a fast enough internet connection anywhere in the world.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/discover

ray

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:49 am 

One final comment -- there are those that are into the DIY thing (or even not) that only know about (they never owned vinyl playback equipment) and experience digital playback. I've had visitors here with that background and they were shocked because they never expected vinyl playback to be that good. Also, that quiet in terms of background noise (if you never let the records get dirty noise is not an issue).

For me it is still a mystery as to how and why with all of the crap that goes between the microphones and the cutter heads why to this day vinyl can be competitive with and even surpass digital playback. The bottom line here is that once you've tried it it can be a revelation.