DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:14 am 

For various reasons I have needed to change to an old HP laptop. It uses a 120 watt, 18.5 v 6.5 amp charger. It runs Windows 10 and I use Jriver.

Everything is fine except that I get noise coming thru my usb ODAC when the charger is connected. There is no noise when I disconnect the charger and use the internal laptop battery.

I could buy a replacement charger but I suspect that the problem may be internal to the laptop and not in the power supply. Any ideas?

On a separate note, I seem to remember a website that listed Windows services that could be turned off but I cannot remember what it was. Does anyone have recommendations?

ray

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:26 am 

ratbagp wrote:
For various reasons I have needed to change to an old HP laptop. It uses a 120 watt, 18.5 v 6.5 amp charger. It runs Windows 10 and I use Jriver.

Everything is fine except that I get noise coming thru my usb ODAC when the charger is connected. There is no noise when I disconnect the charger and use the internal laptop battery.

I could buy a replacement charger but I suspect that the problem may be internal to the laptop and not in the power supply. Any ideas?

On a separate note, I seem to remember a website that listed Windows services that could be turned off but I cannot remember what it was. Does anyone have recommendations?

ray

I believe that your PC has a switch-mode power supply (charger) and although your PC theoretically should only "see" the battery, whether you are plugged in or not, it's possible that power-supply noise is getting through. You might build an aggressive RFI/EMI filter to fit between your power supply and PC -- or build or buy a high-quality linear power supply.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:31 am 

Seems like building the linear power supply would be the way to go. I should have the parts kicking around.

ray

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:43 am 

This is an interesting problem that I have had with some DACs and not others even with the same PC and power supply. I don't know why that would happen. Might have something to do with the grouding in the DAC. Has anyone found a concrete reason why this happens?

Tom

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:46 am 

I suspect it's radiated noise, not conducted noise.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:49 am 

ratbagp wrote:

ray

Plug in the laptop charger into the power conditioner.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:55 am 

Cogito wrote:

Or a simple power line filter. After my last post it occurred to me that when I installed the switching supplies in my amps I had to put in power line filters so the X10 modules that were nearby would continue to function. I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EJ5DU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have some in-line and enclosed TEMPEST filters that might work for you. You can just plug them in the wall and the power supply into it. These will trip a GFI outlet or breaker, but should clean up the noise back into the AC well.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:59 am 

DaveR wrote:
I suspect it's radiated noise, not conducted noise.

I moved the power pack away from everything else electrical by at least four feet with no improvement. Worth a try however.

ray

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 12:43 pm 

tomp wrote:
This is an interesting problem that I have had with some DACs and not others even with the same PC and power supply. I don't know why that would happen. Might have something to do with the grouding in the DAC. Has anyone found a concrete reason why this happens?

Tom

Not all electronics designers understand the issues with RFI/EMI issues. When I did an office building for a past employer, the access-control system was always going bonkers especially after a storm. But a storm wasn't necessary for shit to happen. When I set up a ladder to go into the ceiling to open up one the control panels there was no protection from anything. The engineering department at the security company could not understand why -- they commented that the power supply had three-pin regulars. OUCH! I guess ignorance is bliss. Three-pin regulators will reject ripple, but act as unity-gain amplifiers for anything else. Once I forced them to add Corcom RFI/EMI filters together with metal oxide varistors all was well.

It was not fun coming to work in the morning with a "lynch mob" waiting to get into the building. Employees were not issued keys because it was secured facility. When the access control system goes amuck it is definitely secured.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 12:45 pm 

Cogito wrote:
ratbagp wrote:

ray

That won't work. The power conditioning has to be between the laptop and the switch-mode power supply.