Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Favourite childhood group

June 13th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:its time to end this thread before it gets heated

Why? Because Russell Peters comedy? I enjoy his comedy.

June 13th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Stuart Polansky wrote:Too bad, this thread could have been fun. Comparing where we started, musically, and as Paul pointed out, which came first, the music or the electronics.

Not that anyone cares, but for me, the first music was, try not to laugh, lots of Motown, Steppenwolf (Magic Carpet Ride and Born to be Wild), and See You in September by The Happenings on BJ Puppy IIRC. Still have the 45s.

For me music came first. When I was very young, used to play 78s (and a few 45s) on my father's HMV turntable. My dad used the Medium Wave and Short Wave PYE radio as output for the turntable. PYE radio had large tubes the size 300Bs.

Remember, in the 10th grade, I used to have music playing in the background while doing night-outs before the finals. Since then, I always have music on while preparing for exams.

June 14th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Cogito wrote:

Why? Because Russell Peters comedy? I enjoy his comedy.

Have we gone so far gone as a society where we can't have opposing opinions nor friendly trolling?

I though we are all just friends here?

June 14th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Music first for me. Like Stu, I listened almost exclusively to R-n-R and pop music. Went to a TON of concerts (still do). I did not get into audio till I was in my mid-20s. Then I probably blew about $30k in Audio "upgrades" within 5 years (this was back when $30k was a fairly substantial amount and not like today when that just gets you a set of speaker cables and a few interconnects). Got into tubes, then vinyl and then Jazz.

Now I have used the same speakers, amps and TT for ~20 years, the same preamps and phono stage for over 10 years. I am not sure I can even call myself an audiophile anymore? I also think that for the first time I am starting to notice that my hearing is really showing it's age. I guess racing cars for 20 years (usually with ear-pro)and over 150 Widespread panic concerts plus lots of shows with other groups (without ear-pro) has caught up to me. But I still VERY much enjoy listening to music (75% Jazz, 25% rock, jam, indie plus classical (but classical only at live concerts) and I can still hear differences between components, tubes, wires etc virtually instantly. Maybe when I get a little older and my hearing gets a little worse, I won't be able to hear system differences anymore? Then all I will be able to do is enjoy the music? Does not sound too bad to me! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

June 14th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Party pooper! :( Let's see where it goes. :)

June 14th, 2018, 3:34 pm

SoundMods wrote:

Party pooper! :( Let's see where it goes. :)

Relax dude.
I dont consider comedy offensive.
I think with my brain, not my heart unlike someone I know. :-)

June 19th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Guess I was hooked on music since nursery rhymes. Still love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7umozIcIdY

June 19th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Thank you for that link. Now I understand why SRV is venerated. It's amazing what the great musicians can do in any of the various branches in music.

ray
Post a reply