DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 3:51 pm 

This has been an interesting thread. And the common idea is to expose the younger generation to the hobby. I am sure that other what they may find at Best Buy is just about all they know. The days of Radio Shack and Baynesville Electronics are just a memory and try to find an audio shop that welcomes very young and limited wallets. And don't get me started on Vocational Schools.

I do know this -- I got sucked in (girl-friends have a lot of power) to teach and audio course at University of Baltimore, Shady Grove. She ran a gaming degree program. I didn't know there was such a thing. ??? Anyhow, the students were like knowledge sponges that were eager to absorb every bit of knowledge I could offer.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 5:41 pm 

brombo wrote:
How about the "Maker Club" concept. A maker club for acoustic projects which would combine woodworking, electronic, and mechanical projects (speakers, amplifiers, turntables, etc.) that can require math and physics for design, analysis, and measurement purposes (build a speaker and measure your creation with REW). To get more ideas go to a "Maker Faire" near you.

Also an "Acoustic Maker Club" might be of interest at vocational high schools such as Edison Tech in Montgomery County. I say vocational since they would have the equipment needed to build projects and a type of student more interested in building things. My high school in NJ had an electronic class I took back in the early 60's. I still remember building an astable multivibrator oscillator with a 6SN7 tube.

Makers club sounds really cool. It's got a lot of potential and should be looked into, even if only as a reference. It certainly fulfills the part about giving Kids (people) resources.
My only concern about this type of platform, especially when you start getting schools involved, is that it will probably yield itself to the more talented students, and eventually weed the marginal students out.

I just want to point out that the spirit of DIY is not about competition for limited resources. It's actually about teaching people that they can go out and buy a couple common tools which they then own, and then encouraging them to figure out how to accomplish their aspirations with the limited things they actually have. DIY is really the thing that levels the playing field for the people that got left out of the official competition.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 12:53 am 

How about start with vocational schools/community colleges and offer a free one day admission CAF to qualified students (certain studies) if they attend an "intro to audiophile" seminar at CAF (prior to looking at rooms). We just have to be sure we are finding students that actually desire audio and will be respectful at CAF. You keep doing that to find future audiophiles, and maybe a DIY'r.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 8:21 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
How about start with vocational schools/community colleges and offer a free one day admission CAF to qualified students (certain studies) if they attend an "intro to audiophile" seminar at CAF (prior to looking at rooms). We just have to be sure we are finding students that actually desire audio and will be respectful at CAF. You keep doing that to find future audiophiles, and maybe a DIY'r.

That's a really cool idea!

I'm close to NOVA Alexandria campus, and I would be williing to spend a couple hours during a couple different days handing out passes if someone figures out a legitimate way to do it.

I don't think you necessarily need to qualify the free pass with attending a seminar though. That sounds a little mean! Just personally I think when you design processes that you want people to partake in, the whole thing should be completely voluntary. You do want them to know however, that the person that gave them the free pass was a representative of a particular room at the show, and you really don't want them to miss theat room. You might give them another incentive by offering them another free thing when they show up at the DIY room (I would make this thing something of intellectual nature, like a speaker plan, or a schematic, not a doohickey that you have to absorb the cost of when you give it away). When these people finally do show up at the room (to get the other free thing), what you then have is several(hopefully) people who have demonstrated they are capable of making not just one, but two commitments to your (our) particualr venture (by actually showing up at two different places you suggested they should show up to). This is when I would offer them (the third free thing) the free seminar!

I know this sounds like a silly and unecessary complication of an already good idea, but trust me, this is real behavioral theory!

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 1:38 am 

chris1973 wrote:
mix4fix wrote:

That's a really cool idea!

I'm close to NOVA Alexandria campus, and I would be williing to spend a couple hours during a couple different days handing out passes if someone figures out a legitimate way to do it.

I don't think you necessarily need to qualify the free pass with attending a seminar though. That sounds a little mean! Just personally I think when you design processes that you want people to partake in, the whole thing should be completely voluntary. You do want them to know however, that the person that gave them the free pass was a representative of a particular room at the show, and you really don't want them to miss theat room. You might give them another incentive by offering them another free thing when they show up at the DIY room (I would make this thing something of intellectual nature, like a speaker plan, or a schematic, not a doohickey that you have to absorb the cost of when you give it away). When these people finally do show up at the room (to get the other free thing), what you then have is several(hopefully) people who have demonstrated they are capable of making not just one, but two commitments to your (our) particualr venture (by actually showing up at two different places you suggested they should show up to). This is when I would offer them (the third free thing) the free seminar!

I know this sounds like a silly and unecessary complication of an already good idea, but trust me, this is real behavioral theory!

It is not mean to have them hear a presentation in order to receive a free day at an event.

What you do is have them meet at a certain time at a certain place at CAF and give them an introduction/briefing/presentation (keep it short and simple). Talk about the audiophile hobby which will include DIY. Have them especially check out specific rooms. Inform them about their conduct at the event.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 2:35 am 

I have just come back from a cafe where they were playing typical Audiophile Show music and marveled at how much was missing, even though most non-audiophiles would think it was ok. If I ever opened a coffee place, I would put in a bright transmitting tube amp system and use the slogan 'how can the coffee taste good if the the sound is crap?'

Having worked in a community college for over twenty years, my advice is to approach the continuing education division. They are much more flexible than the credit division. In addition, some colleges are strict about advertising on campus.

I think there are two other groups that could be targeted to get into DIY

1 - existing audiophiles who would like to know how it all worked and as a hobby to take your mind off work (my case)
2 - the retired who desperately need a hobby

Another opportunity would be to feature in the DCDiy room some well known designs from the various DIY forums such as a Pass DIY amp or something from the tube world. For speakers, something like frugal horns or one of the well known low cost open baffle designs (much like what Roscoe has demoed). There are also the designs made out of foam from Dollar Tree.

On a passing note, I built a pair of frugal horns for my daughter who lives in Sydney. People who visit her apartment are always intrigued by them and love the sound, even though they are not audiophiles.

ray

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 2:27 pm 

Getting young people involved often best works when their is a personal/mentoring type connection. I have certainly meet people over the years who have helped guide me along (in Audio, motosports, mountain biking etc)

Recently, Roscoe dropped by to do a DAC shootout at my place. We took a break and went to dinner at a local pizza place. We sat at the bar right near where employees were rolling dough for the brick oven. A kid working there overheard us talking about audio and asked some questions. I mentioned that I had some speakers for sale.... cheap and left my email.

That kid dropped by with a friend (mom sat in the car outside my home in the car during all this, I did not realize that till they left)) and listened to 3 pairs of speakers I was selling (price points $25, $500, $6000). He listens currently to bluetooth source going to little self powered speakers. I powered the speakers with a little Adcom GFA-5200 (my first "high end" amp) and finally with my 300B monoblocks.

Their eyes nearly popped out of their head when they started listening to my system. I am not claiming that my system is some ultra great sounding setup but this was probably the first time in their lives that they had ever heard 1) lossless 16/44 digital 2) a carefully setup system 3) tubes (triodes) 4) a good DAC etc etc They looked astonished! Asked a TON of questions! Played music they liked (EDM and other weird stuff that was certainly not my systems forte). They really knew nothing about this stuff, no idea what monoblocks were, or a preamp or a phono preamp etc etc are. They are used to listening to lossy mp3 coming from shitty little one box, disposable lifestyle products (cellphones) hooked up to mediocre (at best) headphones.

He ended up taking the $25 speakers ( a little 5.5" coaxial monitor setup) with them and he is looking for a vintage EL84 based receiver (Sherwood, Scott etc). Maybe that will get him started into building a system and developing his knowledge and preferences in audio reproduction.

The days of the local Hi-Fi shop with the employees that will be there to help you are long gone. Hi-Fi shows largely cater to the converted, not neophytes (and prices will drive most away).

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 3:47 pm 

If anybody has any connection or acquaintances with any of the local universities or colleges I would appreciate contact info

PostPosted: August 24th, 2018, 12:57 pm 

There was discussion on having a C.A.F. seminar. Any progress?