Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Transmission Lines as Applied to Audio

March 21st, 2018, 10:44 pm

Vienna Winterfest.

Not much there. I bought a bag of resistors, two rolls of mil teflon wire, and a 24V Lambda supply to try on a TPA3116 amp.

The day of the hamfest is over. I used to fill up vans with gear and parts at good hamfests.

But I did find a few card wound resistors to illustrate my earlier comments. Can't buy those at Radio Shack. Wait, that's over too.

March 22nd, 2018, 9:31 am

J-ROB wrote:Vienna Winterfest.

Not much there. I bought a bag of resistors, two rolls of mil teflon wire, and a 24V Lambda supply to try on a TPA3116 amp.

The day of the hamfest is over. I used to fill up vans with gear and parts at good hamfests.

But I did find a few card wound resistors to illustrate my earlier comments. Can't buy those at Radio Shack. Wait, that's over too.

I hear your pain. There used to be a massive Hamfest at the Timonium Fairgrounds every year. I would get there no later than 8:30 am and kill the entire day looking for goodies. I even carried my RCL meter to vet caps. Teflon wire -- you bet. Andrew Heliax that is now my speaker cable -- yes -- and it took me too long to fold it into my system. W.L. Gore cables? YUM! Vishay bulk-film resistors -- 10-cents on the dollar. I could go on. :(

March 22nd, 2018, 10:51 am

You got there by 8:30? The good stuff was probably gone by 7AM!

March 22nd, 2018, 11:27 am

J-ROB wrote:You got there by 8:30? The good stuff was probably gone by 7AM!

No. They opened at 8:30am. The fairground was opened at 7:00am for the vendors.

When I said it was massive -- that was no exaggeration. Acres of parking areas with tailgaters, the Cow Palace (about 50,000-sq.ft.), and the Exhibition Hall (about 30,000-sq.ft.) were loaded with table-top vendors. I usually would not leave until about 4:30pm. Sometimes I found GOLD -- other times not so much. But it was always my special treat each spring.

March 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

I used to go to Hamfests as both a buyer and a seller for years. Haven't been to one recently. When's the next big one around these parts?

March 22nd, 2018, 12:35 pm

6/3 Manassas, 8/5 Berryville, niether is huge, Berryville is generally the better one...
I'll be at both.
Roscoe

March 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pm

I've been to both in the past. I'm out of town for the Manassas fest. Possibly the Berryville.

March 22nd, 2018, 12:42 pm

[color=#BF0000]No. They opened at 8:30am. The fairground was opened at 7:00am for the vendors.
[/quote]

I guess you missed the tailgating in the early dawn light with flashlights and miners headlamps! That is where the action always was.

Vendor buy most of the good stuff from other vendors before you get in the door at 8:30. Sure you can find wire and parts but no Marantz 8Bs for $25 like in the 80s!

Roscoe might know more about the current hamfest scene. I only went to a few last year, mainly to enjoy the companionship of my fellow hams in a dying-off hobby and chat with interesting nerds. Also, it is nice to be in a place where I feel like one of the young guys!

EDIT: I see Roscoe answered. Yeah, Manassas was pretty decent but a tiny fragment of what it used to be.
Post a reply