DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MQA?
PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 2:21 pm 

This is the first reasonable explanation of MQA I've come across for the layman, though to be honest, I haven't been looking. I had no interest in it when I first heard about yet another "better" audio format, and now that I understand the underlying goal of returning control of the music industry reins to a few multinational corporations, I know I don't want it. Not even if it does (apparently undetermined) sound "better". Am I missing something here, is this not the Evil Empire?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-contextualized

Post subject: Re: MQA?
PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 11:57 am 

The few times I have heard demos I have been unimpressed. I detect differences but nothing that would make me even think about getting MQA. If one is big on streaming Tidal I could possibly see and advantage. I have over 4TB of music on the server with another 8TB available so I will never run out of digital tp listen too. Most of my digital listening is for background music while reading or working anyway so source is practically irrelevant. The moment ones attention is away from the music a 1950 transistor radio is enough

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm 

Agreed about the music collections we've already amassed. Most of us are old and may not be around long enough to see the impact, but if the industry buys into it, then the consumers of music will be forced to. Potentially no access for folks with digital crossover/processing. All equipment builders with have to pay the license fees and be stuck with what MQA decides is important. Seems like something we shouldn't be embracing, but rather fighting, that is being pitched to Audiophiles for better sound to get them onboard.

Imagine back when everyone spun only records, that a company developed an RIAA curve in conjunction with the record companies that was the only one that would work with your records, by design. No work arounds. If you wanted to listen to records you had to buy a receiver or phono stage with that curve, from that company, or a company that bought the license from them. No mods, or DIY.

Aren't they just trying to regain control to increase profits and reduce access?

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm 

At CAF17, most of the people in the group I was in were able to identify MQA in MQA vs DSD comparison demo and preferred DSD.

Bob Stuart has a history of promoting his own "lossless packaging" system. During the SACD vs DVD-A competition days, he was downplaying DSD as nonsense. The thing is, he was promoting "Meridian Lossless Packaging" of PCM at that time which works with DVD-A.

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/1/18378.html

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 5:47 pm 

Shashi,

My point isn't about (perceived) sound quality, it's about control of the media. Once record companies have new media on a single encoded format that can't be accessed without their key, what's digital home hi-fi going to become?
This seems like an innovation barrier. Once everyone is using the same protocol innovation takes a back seat to profits.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 6:29 pm 

My guess is if that happens someone will shortly find a way to get past the proprietary part just as they have with copy protection in video.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 9:08 pm 

My guess is it will go the way of the Betamax.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 11:25 pm 

MQA = lossy, 17bit, proprietary DRM. :handgestures-thumbdown:

PostPosted: March 17th, 2018, 12:13 pm 

The saga continues. I believe this MQA thing is The Evil Empire.
www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-benefits-and-costs

PostPosted: March 17th, 2018, 2:06 pm 

Buy lots of music while you can.