DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 12:53 pm 

All this points to the reason why I work so hard on a home system. Yes, it will never sound like live with the pluses and minuses that those entail. But, I can pick any performance of any music that I have access to when the moment suits me. And even with the cost of the system, it is a lot less than flying around the world to hear a given performance in a given venue at a given time. And I can repeat a segment or all of it for free as many times as I want. If you don't like that performance or that quality of recording there are usually lots of other choices. Neither is a replacement for the other.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 12:59 pm 

That was the first thing I thought, my seats were visually great but I like 20 row+ with an orchestra but she confirmed exactly what I heard.

What is the sound of a harpsichord? Two skeletons having sex on a tin roof!

SoundMods wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:
Unamplified Live music is a “reference” but you can still get weird sound. I recently saw the BSO with Gabriela Montero at the Strathmore. My seats were 10th row dead center, my mom (has a music degree in performance piano) was seated in the first balcony and we both thought the piano had a wierd thin, almost harpsichordy like sound to it? The performance was good overall and enjoyable but the piano sounded off.

Unfortunately the BSO keeps a Steinway for visiting artists. (I am not a fan) Back in the day they had a Bosendorfer that "sang" with an amazing sweet yet big voice.

Plus -- your Mom had better seats so I would blame the piano. Row 10 is about middle hall where there is a bass nul that would make anything sound thin.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 2:28 pm 

[quote="TubeDriver"]That was the first thing I thought, my seats were visually great but I like 20 row+ with an orchestra but she confirmed exactly what I heard.

What is the sound of a harpsichord? Two skeletons having sex on a tin roof!

Actually -- a lot of people do not realize that Harpsicords do not have hammers to strike the strings but leather tabs that pluck the strings.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 11:07 am 

Walt, do you breakdown and analyze knock-knock jokes too? :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 11:17 am 

TubeDriver wrote:
Walt, do you breakdown and analyze knock-knock jokes too? :lol: :roll:

Laugh all you want -- there are a lot of people that do not know how a Harpsichord operates. :geek:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 11:26 am 

As well as leather, quill was traditionally used for the plectrum that plucks the strings. These days, plastic such as delrin is also used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpsichord

ray

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 1:08 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
As well as leather, quill was traditionally used for the plectrum that plucks the strings. These days, plastic such as delrin is also used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpsichord

ray

I had a late buddy that was not only an audiophile, and a musician, but his main hobby was designing and building from scratch reproductions of vintage instruments.

He did not do this from kits -- dead scratch. His first project was a portable Harpsicord that he eventually used for recitals given by Musica Antiqua. He fabricated each and every leather pluck.