DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MC stepups....
PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

So, after CAF, I decided to start thinking about better MC stepup transformers for my phono stage... I had been using a pair of vintage UTC C-2080 transformers that I pikced up so long ago that I don't remember where I got them. Somehow, I ended up with three, although I can't seem to locate the third one, but maybe I'll use that for mono at some point ;) First thing I needed to do was remove the UTCs from the phono stage so it has a standard MM input, and mount the UTCs in a box. I don't have any commercial product here at the moment, but I did audition the UTCs, a pair of Altec 15095As, and a pair of Stromberg Carlson mic transformers I took out of an old tube PA....

Overall, I have to give a slight edge to the UTCs over the S/Cs, the Altecs were a distant 3rd in my system. The UTCs definately had the best bass, the S/Cs were a bit rolled off on the bottom, the Altecs were quite deficient in the bass. Both the S/Cs & the Altecs were more extended in the high-end, but the Altecs just sounded wrong. The S/Cs were also a bit more transparent than the UTCs, but not much. I need to play around with the cartridge & transformer loading with the Altecs and the UTCs to see if I can make them sound a little better. It does seem that the UTC C-2080s have a bit of a following in Japan, found a couple of assembled units based on them going for 35000-63000y (about 360-650USD)....

Probably about time to do a MC stepup shootout here for a meeting one of these days (Charlie?)

More to follow as I do more testing with what I have, and if something else should find it's way into my system...

Roscoe

Post subject: Re: MC stepups....
PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 3:22 pm 

What cartridge did you test with...?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ortofon SPU Classic GM on an SME 3012 arm...

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 11:31 am 

Roscoe,

If we can find a time to get together I have several that you can try. Everything from little Sowters and Jensens to my new toy the Bobs Devices Cinemag 1131(which is VERY good by the way).

Charlie

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm 

Charlie, do you have the Cinemag 3440's or have tried them? Wondering how they stack up the 1131's...

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 12:48 pm 

Randy,

They are not nearly as good. They are down in the pile with the Jensens and Sowters.

My favorites at this point: Hashimoto HM-7, Tamura TKS-83, Hashimoto HMx, Cinemag 1131.

Then the Stevens & Billington, Hashimoto HM-3, and Silk.

I've tried a lot of others most of which have good points as well as bad points (for instance the glorious midrange of the old Altecs) but the ones listed above are the top of the heap for me. YMMV! This has been using Cardas, Benz LP-s, and Dynavector cartridges. I didn't have good luck with the Denon, I like more harmonic texture like that found in the Benz line.

Charlie

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the Jensens are no longer available as loose transformers, only as finished products. Also looks like the Tamura TKS-83 is discontinued... I've also though about trying a pair of the Lundahl LL1943s...

Last night I changed things around in the phono stage & MC boxes so I can try different loadings, but didn't get a chance to listen to the changes yet, will get to that tonight...

Charlie - When's good for you? Looks like I'm tied up labor day weekend, but I think the rest of the next few weekends are good for me. Which ones do you have in-house that I could try?

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 16th, 2013, 11:07 am 
Site Admin

So, I played a bit with the cart/xfmr loading last night. By unloading the UTC transformers I was able to get a bit more air, but they're still a bit behind the curve in terms of transparency. The S/Cs seem to have them beat by a large margin in that area. Playing a bit with the loading on the S/Cs, I was able to wring a bit more bass out of them, w/o any noticeable penalty in terms of transparency or HF extension. The S/Cs are now the head of the pack of the three xfmrs I have here. Unfortunately, I can't find ANYTHING on these transformers on-line....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 16th, 2013, 11:34 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
So, I played a bit with the cart/xfmr loading last night. By unloading the UTC transformers I was able to get a bit more air, but they're still a bit behind the curve in terms of transparency. The S/Cs seem to have them beat by a large margin in that area. Playing a bit with the loading on the S/Cs, I was able to wring a bit more bass out of them, w/o any noticeable penalty in terms of transparency or HF extension. The S/Cs are now the head of the pack of the three xfmrs I have here. Unfortunately, I can't find ANYTHING on these transformers on-line....

Roscoe

Do you have a model number or any identifying info?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2013, 11:58 am 
Site Admin

TubeDriver wrote:
Roscoe Primrose wrote:

Roscoe

Do you have a model number or any identifying info?

Yeah. Search found nothing on the model #. :angry-banghead: I'll post it here after I get home.

Roscoe