DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MC stepups....
PostPosted: August 17th, 2013, 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Stromberg Carlson, one is labeled 45753, the other is labeled 45752-000 and TM-2 on a second line.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2013, 9:29 pm 

Could it be the baby mama to this? See attached....

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Stromberg Carlson, one is labeled 45753, the other is labeled 45752-000 and TM-2 on a second line.

Attachments:
Bogen_TM2.png
Bogen_TM2.png [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 21771 times ]

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I don't think so... The ratios aren't right. 600:47K is 8.85:1, the transformers I have definitely have more s/u than the Altec 15095s, and they're 10:1...

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm 

Hi, would you be interested in trying out some DIY inductors that I wound? The step up ratio is 10:1. They are autoformers so there is no DC isolation but in this application I don't think that would be an issue. The autoformer winding gives them very wide bandwidth. The laminates are 80% nickel mu-metal. There are 2000 windings with a DCR of 83.5 ohms.

I have wound some autoformers for volume control but the main thing I have been winding are line level output transformers for converting unbalanced signals to balanced. These all sound very good to me. I make sure to drive the inductors with a low output impedance source.

I listen to digital so I don't have a turntable to try them on but they should sound very nice. As you can see in the picture I do not have channels frames for containing the laminates so I use tape. They also do not have any shielding since finding anything pre-made is difficult. I can make some if necessary from mu-metal sheet. For the applications I have been using my inductors in, I have not needed shielding.

Scott

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 8:45 am 

Jetbat wrote:
Hi, would you be interested in trying out some DIY inductors that I wound? The step up ratio is 10:1. They are autoformers so there is no DC isolation but in this application I don't think that would be an issue. The autoformer winding gives them very wide bandwidth. The laminates are 80% nickel mu-metal. There are 2000 windings with a DCR of 83.5 ohms.

I have wound some autoformers for volume control but the main thing I have been winding are line level output transformers for converting unbalanced signals to balanced. These all sound very good to me. I make sure to drive the inductors with a low output impedance source.

I listen to digital so I don't have a turntable to try them on but they should sound very nice. As you can see in the picture I do not have channels frames for containing the laminates so I use tape. They also do not have any shielding since finding anything pre-made is difficult. I can make some if necessary from mu-metal sheet. For the applications I have been using my inductors in, I have not needed shielding.

Scott

You need really good shielding for MC stepup purposes. We are talking the difference between a 2V signal and a 0.4mV signal, about 3-1/2 orders of magnitude difference in signal level. MC transformers are hum magnets, if you have 60hz in the vicinity, you will pick it up. I have had the worst time some transformers, like the Altec 15095A, which do not have complete shielding around the transformer due to the octal plug, and are extremely sensitive to location and orientation.

David

Last edited by Roscoe Primrose on August 19th, 2013, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quoting....

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 9:47 am 

The Hashimoto HMx is the best I've heard, by a good margin.

Charlie, is the Cinemag 1131 really superior to the HMx?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 1:18 pm 

Bob,

The short answer is, no, it's not. It is, however amazingly good for something you can buy already set up. I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation to take it off the metal box as I swear I can hear a little ringing from that box. We'll see what it sounds like then. It is little more forward than the Hashimoto's and Tamura's, the downside is that it doesn't have the subtle low level detail of the others.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

David McGown wrote:

You need really good shielding for MC stepup purposes. We are talking the difference between a 2V signal and a 0.4mV signal, about 3-1/2 orders of magnitude difference in signal level.

0.2mV in my case, so 4 full orders of magnitude.... :character-oldtimer:

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone tried the Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH?

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 5:55 pm 

Roscoe,

I should have the CineMag CMEE-3440 that I could lend you, as well as a couple of other stepups. I tried posting a list of about 5 or six stepups I have around here, including a battery powered headamp (Hagerman Piccolo), but it didn't post (my error I am sure).

David