DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently August 17th, 2017, 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 2:53 pm 

I bought the Elijah Audio cable. Listening to it again now.
Attachment:
slide-01.jpg
slide-01.jpg [ 46.71 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

ETA: ...and I remember why I don't like it. :-( Dry and compressed sounding.

Last edited by Grover Gardner on August 3rd, 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 8:03 pm 

Don Diego wrote:
charliewphelps@gmail.com wrote:
At this time I'm using a CAPS server Carbon type computer with linux and a SoTM USB output card with a separate linear supply with a LPS for the computer using linux to work MPD with bit perfect output to the La Scala DAC. For the first time in my life I think that analog has lost. I never would have believed it could happen. If anybody is interested they can stop by for a listen after I get back from Grover's (I'm heading out there to see him next week). I don't have to much space but one or two at a time could be accommodated. I haven't listened to analog in months -- hi res digital is more than I could ever have imagined.

Charlie.

Heresy :violence-duel:

I listened to the La Scala and Formula DACs in May and deemed them to be a toss up. Each one bested the other depending on the music but if I had to characterize the differences I would say I found the La Scala to be more dimensional and musical and the Formula to be more detailed. I need to go back up to NYC for some more listening comparisons. Have you listened to any DSD128 files and compared them to Hi-rez PCM?

Don, The US Importer/distributor is right here in NOVA and is a friend of mine. We can arrange another audition without you going to NYC. Charlie has a LaScala II in his system.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 2:14 am 

Just an update on this topic. Charlie was here this week and we listened to some wonderful music. This afternoon the final parts arrived for adding the SOTM USB board to my Celeron-based mini-PC. I had to order a mini-PCI to PCI-E adaptor and a PCI-E extension cable. I popped in the adaptor, connected the USB board and powered it with a little 7.5 volt supply I have from another audiophile gadget. Fired up Snakeoil-OS, selected the MPD player and it saw the DAC right away. No hitches whatsoever. The difference is astonishing--much cleaner and sweeter, with a big open soundstage.

Next step is the HDPLex LPS to power both the computer and the board. Then I'll probably order a new Celeron motherboard so I can add the SOTM SATA filter and an SSD.

Honestly folks, if you don't think this makes a difference you need to hear it. It was like getting a major transport upgrade for $400. If you have a motherboard that can accomodate it I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 7:33 am 

Awesome. Glad you were able to try it, Grover. The final results should be even better.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 9:29 am 

KLH007 wrote:
Don Diego wrote:
charliewphelps@gmail.com wrote:
At this time I'm using a CAPS server Carbon type computer with linux and a SoTM USB output card with a separate linear supply with a LPS for the computer using linux to work MPD with bit perfect output to the La Scala DAC. For the first time in my life I think that analog has lost. I never would have believed it could happen. If anybody is interested they can stop by for a listen after I get back from Grover's (I'm heading out there to see him next week). I don't have to much space but one or two at a time could be accommodated. I haven't listened to analog in months -- hi res digital is more than I could ever have imagined.

Charlie.

Heresy :violence-duel:

I listened to the La Scala and Formula DACs in May and deemed them to be a toss up. Each one bested the other depending on the music but if I had to characterize the differences I would say I found the La Scala to be more dimensional and musical and the Formula to be more detailed. I need to go back up to NYC for some more listening comparisons. Have you listened to any DSD128 files and compared them to Hi-rez PCM?

Don, The US Importer/distributor is right here in NOVA and is a friend of mine. We can arrange another audition without you going to NYC. Charlie has a LaScala II in his system.

Said friend and demo LaScala are supposed to be here in about a half hour. If anyone is interested in hearing it here let me know.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 7:43 am 

Anyone interested in computer audio might fine ecasound of interest -

https://ecasound.seul.org/ecasound/

Look at the features and examples.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17