Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

CNC Speaker Design

December 12th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Hi All,
I have project I'm trying to realize. It's a horn built out of multiple sections of 3/4" plywood, each cut with a horn shaped profile in them.

Phihorn.jpg

The most efficient way to produce all the parts is with CNC.

I'm having a difficult time locating someone that someone that can do this work at a reasonable price.

Workpiece is 30" x 30"

Does anybody have connections with someone with CNC capability, that will entertain an "experimental" type project?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: CNC Speaker Design

December 12th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Call the woodworkers club and ask how much it would cost. They have a very large cnc router table.

http://woodworkersclub.com/

December 12th, 2017, 7:04 pm

brombo wrote:Call the woodworkers club and ask how much it would cost. They have a very large cnc router table.

Thanks, That looks promising!

December 12th, 2017, 8:29 pm

brombo wrote:Call the woodworkers club and ask how much it would cost. They have a very large cnc router table.

I was told there are places in Reston and Leesburg which allow DIYers at a reasonable cost. Dont know the details yet.

December 12th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Cogito wrote:

I was told there are places in Reston and Leesburg which allow DIYers at a reasonable cost. Dont know the details yet.

Thanks Sashi, let me know if you learn anything about that in your class.

Also, would any of the other horn guys have any comments about whether there are any glaringly wrong problems with my horn profile?

The horn will accomodate a 10" woofer, and it will have a slotted trhoat about 1" by 7.5".

I'm assuming it will be a relatively long throw horn for pro audio use. I'm going to test it in my listening room, but I don't really have any intentions of keeping it there.

December 13th, 2017, 10:14 am

chris1973 wrote:Hi All,
I have project I'm trying to realize. It's a horn built out of multiple sections of 3/4" plywood, each cut with a horn shaped profile in them.

Chris

why are you looking at horns anyways? They play loud for auditoriums. :-)

December 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

If you use 8 3/4" panels, it'll only be 6" wide, how does that work with a 10" driver or a 7.5" slot?

Roscoe

December 13th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Personally I would use a jig saw for a prototype before I would go to the expense of CNC.

December 13th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Suggestion. Print out drawing full size (printer software can print out full size on multiple sheets of paper with alignment marking). Glue printout to high density fiberboard. Cut out and use for template with jigsaw (cut off line) and sand to line (bench top oscillating sander best for this). Use hand router with guides to cut actual pattern in wood. I have all the wood working tools to loan to you if you can to come to Silver Spring to pick them up.

December 13th, 2017, 12:31 pm

brombo wrote:Suggestion. Print out drawing full size (printer software can print out full size on multiple sheets of paper with alignment marking). Glue printout to high density fiberboard. Cut out and use for template with jigsaw (cut off line) and sand to line (bench top oscillating sander best for this). Use hand router with guides to cut actual pattern in wood. I have all the wood working tools to loan to you if you can to come to Silver Spring to pick them up.

Depends.
Only one cross sectional view is shown . The horn flare could be expanding on all four sides which makes it extremely difficult.
Post a reply