Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: New AK4497 DAC project

November 9th, 2017, 2:00 pm

That is just over half the price of the DEQX Express II which I use and is a great piece. Does it also do measurements and room corrections like the DEQX?

http://www.deqx.com/products/hdp-express-ii/

Tom

November 9th, 2017, 2:03 pm

BTW, the ADC in the dspMusik is extra cost. Do you know how much it is? Analog in is included in the DEQX and their ADCs are quite good.

November 9th, 2017, 2:12 pm

The dspMusikLCD comes with the ADC module. That is in the cost I posted.

It is not an automated system like DEQX. I use other software to do the measurements and room correction. Most are free.

Since I use Foobar2000 as a player, MathAudio RoomEQ is a free component you can download. It makes the room measurements at up to 20 locations if needed. The ADC in the dspMusikLCD is a very good one and available via USB to do the measurements with the system. It also acts as the DAC to the system for the measurements. You just need a calibrated mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic or other. That is what I started with, but will be trying a better mic system soon.

Audio Weaver can be licensed from Danville if you buy the unit. It is needed for filter development. That is what I learned to program the system.

I can help anyone that is interested. Have worked with the system for 8 years during development to get what I want for The Megaliths.

November 9th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:Roscoe I have tried the minidsp three times. Once a few years ago when the first hit the scene. I thought it was a well thought product with a great user interface. My only complaint was the sound. The didital artifacts were just to prominent. Sent it back.
When the 2x8 came out I bought that, for they said it had improved performance. It wasn't any better, so it went back.
Earlier this year when I was playing around with the Carver Amazings I bought the "New" minidsp which had doubled the sampling rate over the previous model. It was better, but still had that glassy stuff in the hi-end. I think it's amazing bit of tech for the price but just no musical.

Have you used any of the ones that are digital only? The unit I have has no ADC or DAC stages, just SPDIF I/O....

Roscoe

November 9th, 2017, 3:51 pm

HAL wrote:The dspMusikLCD comes with the ADC module. That is in the cost I posted.

It is not an automated system like DEQX. I use other software to do the measurements and room correction. Most are free.

Since I use Foobar2000 as a player, MathAudio RoomEQ is a free component you can download. It makes the room measurements at up to 20 locations if needed. The ADC in the dspMusikLCD is a very good one and available via USB to do the measurements with the system. It also acts as the DAC to the system for the measurements. You just need a calibrated mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic or other. That is what I started with, but will be trying a better mic system soon.

Audio Weaver can be licensed from Danville if you buy the unit. It is needed for filter development. That is what I learned to program the system.

I can help anyone that is interested. Have worked with the system for 8 years during development to get what I want for The Megaliths.

I have an ACO pacific mic with a new 7012 capsule I just got to replace the ancient one that was getting flaky after over 35 years. You can borrow it if you need it.

Tom

November 9th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:Roscoe I have tried the minidsp three times. Once a few years ago when the first hit the scene. I thought it was a well thought product with a great user interface. My only complaint was the sound. The didital artifacts were just to prominent. Sent it back.
When the 2x8 came out I bought that, for they said it had improved performance. It wasn't any better, so it went back.
Earlier this year when I was playing around with the Carver Amazings I bought the "New" minidsp which had doubled the sampling rate over the previous model. It was better, but still had that glassy stuff in the hi-end. I think it's amazing bit of tech for the price but just no musical.

Have you used any of the ones that are digital only? The unit I have has no ADC or DAC stages, just SPDIF I/O....

Roscoe

I have a nanoDSP if anyone wants to borrow it.

Tom

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minids ... digi-2x8-k

November 9th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the offer.

I have an Earthworks M550 calibrated omni mic and 1021 mic preamp to use for the next set of measurements. Got the setup for a speaker correction system I worked on about 13 years ago.

Still have the Earthworks M30 calibrated mic as well from the DEQX 2.6p I have. Really like the very short impulse response of these mics for measurements.

Pocket CLIO only works with its cal'd mic, as the system software has the cal data built in. The CLIO Standard system can be used with other mics. Much more portable than the CLIO setup.

Good part is RoomEQ can use other calibrated mic setups and take the cal data.

November 9th, 2017, 6:01 pm

On this AK4497EQ board is jumper selections for the style of output filter in use. The super slow and short dispersion slow filters are of interest for listening. Will be trying those along the way.

Like the balanced output capability for my headphone setup.

November 9th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Could someone send me a schematic?

November 9th, 2017, 6:21 pm

All the info I can find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AK4497EQ-DAC-D ... SwfaZZt1QZ
Post a reply