Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

New AK4497 DAC project

November 8th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Enjoyed listening to both Shashi's AK4497 and Roscoe's AD1865 DAC's at CAF2017.

In early October, ordered an AK4497 DAC board from Ebay and it arrived today. Comes with the I2S Bus wiring harness and screw terminals for power and output connections.

Will get the new XMOS U208 USB board connected, and use the balanced outputs from the board for some listening. Have a old AA KG-5 +/-15VDC regulated supply and a 9VAC output toroid to use with the board.

Probably another perfboard DAC like CAF2016 for some fun.

Uses two dual opamps, so will see if the installed set are any good before trying the AD49720's.

Here is the DAC board I am using with the U208 USB board.
Attachments
WP_20171108_003.jpg

Re: New AK4497 DAC project

November 8th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Dose anyone have a diy 6 channel dac. I am thinking of a stereo system with 3 way dsp crossovers and equalization.

November 8th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I use an 8 channel AK4495 system with AD DSP processor for my digital crossover running the line arrays.

You can always remove the DAC chips from a DCX2496 and use the I2S Bus to drive external DAC's. The PC Boards are very fragile, so have to be careful.

Off the shelf is MiniDSP. I am not very happy with their DAC sound.

November 8th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I have the MiniDSP board that has 1xspdif in and 3xspdif out. Haven't done anything with it yet ;) Couple one of those with 3 identical stereo DACs, and you're good to go...

Roscoe

November 9th, 2017, 7:15 am

Roscoe I have tried the minidsp three times. Once a few years ago when the first hit the scene. I thought it was a well thought product with a great user interface. My only complaint was the sound. The didital artifacts were just to prominent. Sent it back.
When the 2x8 came out I bought that, for they said it had improved performance. It wasn't any better, so it went back.
Earlier this year when I was playing around with the Carver Amazings I bought the "New" minidsp which had doubled the sampling rate over the previous model. It was better, but still had that glassy stuff in the hi-end. I think it's amazing bit of tech for the price but just no musical.

November 9th, 2017, 8:37 am

After trying 4 DSP based digital crossovers, the only one that sounds like just a great sounding DAC is the one I use. The rest had varying sound quality which I did not like.

November 9th, 2017, 10:12 am

HAL, would you please give more details on the AD DSP. I also assume all the DAC's have a common clock.

November 9th, 2017, 10:34 am

Here is the website that discusses the DSP crossover I use. I learned how to program them and made my crossover. It is now my entire front end driving the amps.

http://www.danvillesignal.com/high-perf ... hannel-dac

November 9th, 2017, 1:23 pm

What is the cost of the dspMusik 2/8 Multichannel DAC?

November 9th, 2017, 1:31 pm

They are $2000.00 programmed for the speakers you want.

Best piece of audio gear I have bought.
Post a reply