DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 10:36 am 

I listen to a lot of digital (mainly Tidal streaming 16/44 or MQA) and really enjoy it. But vinyl has a way of “pressurizing” or loading up my room in a way digital almost never does. Vinyl is more palpable or visceral.

That is exactly what I heard in the DCDIYAudio room. With digital, it sounded small, 2 dimensional, basically boring. The instant we dropped the needle, the music sprang into the room and Roscoe’s speakers started dancing around the room!

From what I heard of the Gates, it could be a really excellent turntable. The Gates and the arm we were using made the 103 sound almost refined. As a 103 user for almost two decades, it was the most refined and balanced overall sound I have ever heard from a 103.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

randy warren wrote:
Hi, Joe (and anyone else who would like to comment), I didn't get a chance to hear the Gates at CAF, but have been thinking about getting one, how would you rate this table against the ROK T-12H? I have heard the Gates is supposed to be a top, if not the top, idler drive. Also, are motors easy to come by on these tables, or are they pretty much a custom item? Thanks, Randy

The Gates uses a synchronous motor. Most of them rotate at the same RPM, so the tough question is can you get one with the same shaft diameter so the pulley will mount, and can you adapt the motor's mounting bolt pattern to fit the table....

Roscoe

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 7:56 pm 

Thanks Roscoe!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 7:00 pm 

I only heard the Gates at the show. Thanks to CAF for getting me off my @$$ to fix it up.

Sent the idler wheel out for a rebuild the day after.

It sounded pretty good to me there!

The Schick arm really works well with DL103s, so that is part of it. 103s put a lot of energy in the arm, which leads to smearing if they the arm isn't super tight.

Randy, I'd say that the Gates might be smoother and more refined than the T-12H, which is more lively, in your face, and funky....but I know you are a funky kind of guy...

The question for me is how it competes with the Garrard 301 I brought to CAF the previous year. That is my main TT for the past few decades and tough to beat to my ear.

i use a lot of very fancy digital gear with my job and I never heard anything even as good as a DL103. The best I heard was DSD rips of real good analogue played though our $100k preamps. It caught the flavor, if not the ultimate experience of a very nice TT with an $8000 custom made for Silbatone vdH Special Colibri cartridge. Remind me next time we meet and I'll bring some analog sounding DSD files.

Digital is OK but not close to premium analog. I'm fairly convinced of that one.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 5:51 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
randy warren wrote:
Hi, Joe (and anyone else who would like to comment), I didn't get a chance to hear the Gates at CAF, but have been thinking about getting one, how would you rate this table against the ROK T-12H? I have heard the Gates is supposed to be a top, if not the top, idler drive. Also, are motors easy to come by on these tables, or are they pretty much a custom item? Thanks, Randy

The Gates uses a synchronous motor. Most of them rotate at the same RPM, so the tough question is can you get one with the same shaft diameter so the pulley will mount, and can you adapt the motor's mounting bolt pattern to fit the table....

Roscoe
The CB-77 motor (and by extension, the CB-500 motor) is indeed a synchronous motor but this one rotates at 600RPM rather than the usual 1800RPM. That's because the CB-77 idler wheel drives an inside hub on the platter, rather than the outer rim as is common in other idler drives. It doesn't have to turn as fast because it doesn't travel as far per platter rotation.

I think it'd be a little harder to find a replacement motor for this reason.

Attachment:
Gates platter.jpg
Gates platter.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 12040 times ]

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 6:03 pm 

The Gates motors are high grade Ashlands. They will last longer than us.