DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 12:37 pm 

Hi, Joe (and anyone else who would like to comment), I didn't get a chance to hear the Gates at CAF, but have been thinking about getting one, how would you rate this table against the ROK T-12H? I have heard the Gates is supposed to be a top, if not the top, idler drive. Also, are motors easy to come by on these tables, or are they pretty much a custom item? Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm 

I don't know how to rate the Gates vs other TT but I will say that vinyl just kicked the crap out of digital in our room this year IMHO.

randy warren wrote:
Hi, Joe (and anyone else who would like to comment), I didn't get a chance to hear the Gates at CAF, but have been thinking about getting one, how would you rate this table against the ROK T-12H? I have heard the Gates is supposed to be a top, if not the top, idler drive. Also, are motors easy to come by on these tables, or are they pretty much a custom item? Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 5:28 pm 

No so quick.

You guys compared Vinyl vs PCM (most likely redbook). Every one knows there is no comparison between CD and Vinyl. Redbook PCM does not have enough information to compete with Vinyl.

Real comparison would be between DSD Direct and Vinyl. Roscoe's music server is unable to send DSD direct to the DAC, not even DoP (DSD over PCM).

Not a fair comparison. See what fellow DIY'r Charlie said recently...

Code:
For the first time in my life I think that analog has lost. I never would have believed it could happen.

http://dcaudiodiy.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=6244

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 7:33 pm 

Much music that interests me is not available as DSD. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard someone say that xxx type digital sounds as rewarding as vinyl, I would be able to buy a Starbucks coffee and a danish. Not dismising what Charlie said but I want to hear what he thinks after say another 6 months. I still stand behind my statement the vinyl just beat up digital in the DCDIYAudio room this year.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 7:47 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
I still stand behind my statement the vinyl just beat up digital in the DCDIYAudio room this year.

Not saying DSD sounds better than Vinyl, the comparison between Redbook and Vinyl makes just much sense as comparision between BMW 3 Series and Ford Fiesta.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

TubeDriver wrote:
I don't know how to rate the Gates vs other TT but I will say that vinyl just kicked the crap out of digital in our room this year IMHO.

I think there was something off with the digital on Sunday, seemed much better Friday & Saturday. We did change music servers Sat. night, so I'll have to see if that's the cause after I finish putting the system back together.

Roscoe

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 10:01 pm 

Charlie's system doesn't play DSD.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 11:25 pm 

OK guys, let's keep this on topic, the digital vs. analog can be in another thread...

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 6:54 am 

Apples and oranges. They are just different. I like vinyl not because it's better, but because I like the commitment to the music. Digital is just a causal decision and push a button. With vinyl one has to run through a stack of physical things. Choose and touch the record, carefully handle the record, place on the turntable, check the stylus, start the table spinning, and ever so gently, place the arm on the record. During the first few seconds of the lead in one sits down in a comfy chair with the album cover and prepare to be transported to what ever time period,venue that was captured in those grooves.
I use digital for background music while I do something else. I listen to vinyl when I want to listen to music.
If I could afford it I would have a 15 Pi's half track and a stack of tapes, but that will have to wait until the next life

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 7:48 am 

It was so much better in the days of 78's. You got to do all that physical stuff more often, the records weighed more, and if you were really fortunate, you got to turn a handle to wind up the spring to get it all going. Vinyl was just too convenient and you just knew that RIAA equalization curve was messing with the true information on the disk.

Oddly enough, one of my fondest memories of my father was when his 78 turntable stopped working and he wanted to play me a record. He just used his finger to make the record go round and round at approximately the correct speed. It was the San Roma performance of the Liszt Totentanz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eyZiY9buCg

ray