Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Another project started

August 6th, 2017, 5:51 pm

SoundMods wrote:The Hartleys had the S-shaped spiders.

The S shaped spiders can be a problem in some circumstances. Over 20 years ago I purchased a pair of 24" Hartleys that had the S shaped spiders and ran into a significant problem beyond the fact that they were not even close to their specs. I did an article in the June 1996 issue of Speaker builder where I wrote up the problem but for obvious reasons did not mention the manufacturer. Essentially, at low frequencies the tips of the Ss would resonate at 500 Hz. Since the spiders were coupled to a massive cone, the acoustic output at that frequency was quite noticeable as a howl. I eventually returned them to Hartley. I'm including the article in case you are interested.
Attachments
Stroboscope Checks on Spider Action.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 772 times

August 7th, 2017, 6:56 am

Thanks I will check
From what I have read replacing the wires usually is not required and my pair being hacked by an idiot was a special case.
Hopefully the others will be in better shape. I have enough to do one more pair

Re: Another project started and now finished

August 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Well they are finished, finally. They sound pretty good, very different from the Maggy's. Actually a bit more openness if you can believe that. They do not go to the extremes the Maggy's do, which I expected. More listening is needed when my TT gets back up and running. I just not use to doing critical listening in the digital format.
Attachments
finised_quads_25.jpg

August 13th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Do your electronics get so hot you have to keep them in the fireplace? :lol:

August 13th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Paul uses his wood for cabinet making. :crazy:

August 13th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Walt
So far the only "My wood" is the cherry pucks under the front feet.
Tom
the fire bricks keep them cool man cool

October 29th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I delivered one rebuilt set to Gary yesterday and picked up two more pair
Attachments
pile.jpg

October 29th, 2017, 4:34 pm

I picked up a pair of completely rebuilt British Heathkit MA-12's to see if they are suitable for my Quads
Attachments
ma12.jpg
ma12.jpg (141.44 KiB) Viewed 22575 times
Quads charging.jpg
Quads charging.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 22575 times

October 29th, 2017, 4:35 pm

if they are keepers I see some work
coupling caps
cathode caps (Walt!)
by pass volume control
better tubes

October 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm

As long as the iron is good, everything else is easy to change if it's a poor design...

Roscoe
Post a reply