DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm 

Don't get the JJ tubes from anybody though. I've had altogether to many of them go south. Horrible in terms of reliability. When I've complained they just tell me it's my amp. Total BS.

Charlie

PostPosted: January 25th, 2017, 9:45 pm 

charliewphelps@gmail.com wrote:
I had this exact problem with some PS Vane EL34's. Rachel at Grant Audio explained that there was a problem with the screen grid in the early batches of the tube and that they had to make a change in the design to fix it. The screen grid takes to much current and will melt down. Don't use them- they may take out your transformer. She gave me a new set, no questions asked. Doubt you can get that to happen with Ebay but good luck.

It's a shame that the tube has problems, I think they have a lovely sound but I never let them run when I'm not around.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Do you know, would early batch versions be the tubes with the gold colored base, and the recent "fixed" versions be the ones with the gray base.

Mine were the ones with the gray base, and based on what I have found on the internet, that's the newer version.

Which one are yours?

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: January 25th, 2017, 11:04 pm 

Mine have the gold base but they were tested by Grant Audio before I got them. I haven't paid to much attention to what has happened since then. I haven't had any problems with these since I got them a couple of years ago. Just make sure you can return them if you have problems. The original Mullards are better if you can find a couple of pairs and can afford them (Doug's Tubes are selling them at $180 a piece). Good luck.

Charlie