DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Touch More Vintage...
PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

So, yesterday I got the 414s in the cabinets and put the 802-8G/32Bs on top. Using the stock Altec model 15 "crossovers" at this point. Crossovers is in quotes because it's actually just a high-pass for the 802, the 414 is run wide open (the model 15 used a different woofer).

Sound is a big step up from the Universitys, and will probobly be even better when I build a proper crossover later this week...

I bet JE gets a smile out of reading this ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 10:30 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
So, yesterday I got the 414s in the cabinets and put the 802-8G/32Bs on top. Using the stock Altec model 15 "crossovers" at this point. Crossovers is in quotes because it's actually just a high-pass for the 802, the 414 is run wide open (the model 15 used a different woofer).

Sound is a big step up from the Universitys, and will probobly be even better when I build a proper crossover later this week...

I bet JE gets a smile out of reading this ;)

Roscoe

Hey Roscoe,

Just saw this, looks great :obscene-drinkingcheers:

JE

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:09 am 

Yeah, that's the gear that that Esmilla dude famously jacked up the price on! :lol:

I heard that very setup at the Primrose Ranch playing Dead and Co. "tapes"...sounded real good, I thought.

But I think since then Roscoe once again went for the big 18"s. Can't tear that maniac away from his eighteen-inchers.

You missed it JE, but Roscoe's speaker at the show with a slot loaded 18" put out some crazy party bass in approximately the same cubic volume of the JE Labs 414/32 rig. The boy sure likes his bass.

Yeah, man... That was a "bass, barbeque, and brewskis" loudspeaker, for sure.

On that measure, the JE Labs design is more of a vegetarian intellectual proposition, I suppose.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:54 am 

J-ROB wrote:
Yeah, that's the gear that that Esmilla dude famously jacked up the price on! :lol:

I heard that very setup at the Primrose Ranch playing Dead and Co. "tapes"...sounded real good, I thought.

But I think since then Roscoe once again went for the big 18"s. Can't tear that maniac away from his eighteen-inchers.

You missed it JE, but Roscoe's speaker at the show with a slot loaded 18" put out some crazy party bass in approximately the same cubic volume of the JE Labs 414/32 rig. The boy sure likes his bass.

Yeah, man... That was a "bass, barbeque, and brewskis" loudspeaker, for sure.

On that measure, the JE Labs design is more of a vegetarian intellectual proposition, I suppose.

I still regret taking a gig over attending CAF 2017. But I've got to make some bucks :violin: to support a nasty audio/DIY habit. :D

Now I'll have to scour these pages to find pictures of that BB&B slot-loaded 18 incher. :)

JE

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

je2a3 wrote:
Now I'll have to scour these pages to find pictures of that BB&B slot-loaded 18 incher. :)

JE

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=903

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 6:23 pm 

OOPS, cubic volume is bigger per comparison pic but footprint is about the same. Bass is 3X. So is weight!

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 6:36 pm 

I am confused. Since the backs of the woofer and the midrange share the same space wouldn't the spl generated by the woofer modulate the cone of the midrange causing doppler modulation of the sound generated by the midrange or does the back of the woofer and the slot equally load the front and back of the midrange?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 7:11 pm 

The back of both drivers open into free air.

How different is the LF pressure on the back and front of the 12" coax cone? Probably not that different.

There is probably some small measure of "flapping in the wind" but the system looks quite leaky in terms of induced pressure on the cones.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:25 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:

Thanks Roscoe! That slot-loaded woofer looks like a woodworking project I can handle. Very cool :thumbup:

JE

PostPosted: November 10th, 2022, 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

These are now for sale. See the post in the swap meet section....

Roscoe