DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enzymatic Cleaning
PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 7:36 pm 

Has anyone ever tried to create their own enzymatic record cleaning fluid? I had come across a short blurb on someone trying to use "Nature's Miracle" in their solution (pet owners will know what this is). However, I'm not convinced that an enzyme designed to work on pee or poo will work on mold (vague memories of Chemistry 101, 25 years ago). I picked up a bottle of enzyme designed to work on mold and mildew. It's called Sporicidin and it contains protease, amylase and lipase, and the label says "recommended for use on ......... vinyl, etc etc etc". Unfortunately, not being a food-stuff, there is no list of ingredients. It's clearly water soluble. It has a pH of 7.5 and is biodegradable. I guess my concern is less about physical damage to the vinyl, and more about leaving a film on the record.

Thoughts?

V/R
James

Post subject: Re: Enzymatic Cleaning
PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 11:04 pm 

I use a solution that uses about 25% isopropyl (90%) alcohol that you would think do a pretty good job with mildew or mold

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 10:17 am 

Not to go too far off topic, but I've just learned of (I know, I know) the small ultrasonic cleaning tubs that you can attach a rig to which holds 5+ records at time, and appears to do an amazing job of cleaning everything from the surface. I don't have links at my fingertips but I think $300-500 to put together.(?) It seems completely reasonable for the quality of the cleaning.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 11:19 am 

I have a tub-type ultrasonic cleaner and it does a remarkable job. I have salvaged LPs from Good Will that did not have groove damage and they play like new.

Attached is a copy is the recipe for the fluid I use after "dialing in" the proportions and instructions for use of a tub-type ultrasonic cleaner after I got through my growth curve.

Attachments:
ULTRASONIC RECORD CLEANER Rev 1.pdf [29.06 KiB]
Downloaded 692 times

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 11:39 am 

I built an ultrasonic cleaner based on DIY designs I found noodling the web. My 10ltr tank cost less than $150 shipped from left coast. The rest of the hardware was less than $100. I am still working out the drying cabinet to allow me to do 50 to 60 records/hour

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 2:37 pm 

I didn't go the distance for a drying cabinet. I use file-folder racks and let them air dry. When I first remove the LPs one at a time from the support rod I use compressed air to blow off excess water first than rack them. When dry -- there is no evidence that they were cleaned -- they only look new.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 7:20 pm 

I just bought the ultrasonic kit from "CleanerVinylLover" on ebay. It's a clever little kit made from a 3-d printer. I also bought the 12-record adapter.
However, like all methods I've tried, it gives brand new records a touch of background noise. So much for getting mold release off of new pressings.
I'm using my VPI to dry them. Perhaps I should use the compressed air method.