DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 12:09 pm 

So as I listened to the JRob coax, I wondered what effect the RCA connectors would have on things? Looking over at the AudioQuest Coral wire and the high mass, gold covered bronze RCAs, I decided to re-terminate the cable with the Eichman Bullet RCA clones (Tellurium copper) that I also used on the JRob cable.

Here is where it gets funky. I originally purchased the Coral CQ because it was supposed to be high quality, twin solid core (21AWG), balanced run (single, identical conductor per leg) and was pretty cheap. I did not want the more expensive Coral cable (mine was the budget Coral CQ) because it used 3 runs (all identical solid core 21 AWG, 2 runs on the – leg and a single run on the + leg) and for a non balanced cable, this seemed sort of odd? Both the Coral and the Coral CQ also have a foil shield and a silver coated drain wire.

I removed the RCA barrels and cut off the shrink wrap and low and behold:

1) the drain wire was connected at amp end (not preamp end) so basically I had a 12’ antenna connected to my amp input. Whoever built the wire, reversed the direction arrows on the cable jacket
2) my “budget” Coral CQ is actually the more expensive 3 leg Coral, they simply left the third run unconnected at both sides.

So I reconnected the drain wire at amp end, connected the third leg between neg runs (two 21AWG connected to – leg and a single 21AWG to the + leg), connected the Bullet clone RCA with WBT silver solder and tried them again.

Much better, a decent portion of the hardness/glare is now gone. The AQs are smoother but still provide lots of detail. So now, I like my AQ at low volumes and the JRobs at high volume. But, the JRobs have a way of being truthful to the music that may be lacking in the AQs. I was listening to a very simple song from Michael Kiwanuka "Love & Hate" and with the JRob's, I could follow the song it made sense on some level. Then I listened again with the AQs and heard all sorts of detail, the distortion that is present in the recording etc etc but it sounded a lot more like a collection of noises and less like a song? And this is with very few hours on the JRobs, the AQ have thousands of hours on them.

This is part of the problem with commercial stuff, you often really don’t know what is under the jacket or under the hood. Back in the late 90s, we had a customer bring in a broken set of “Reference” speaker cables from a well know manufacturer (Synergistic Research). The solder connection between cable and spade termination had failed and the customer wanted to know if we could fix it? These cables were tremendously thick and stiff and cost many thousands of dollars. I peeled back the layers and layers of shrink wrap and found the reason for the failure, a cold solder joint. The reason for the cold joint was apparently because the speaker cable was made up of a couple (4?) runs of what looked like 4AWG stranded battery cable and getting enough heat into that joint to get a good connection was almost impossible. I blasted the spade with a 100w solder gun for a few minutes and finally got a decent join but that turned me off to high priced cable. I will admit that the damn stuff sounded pretty decent but at $1k per meter at certainly should!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 12:10 pm 

I started fooling around with mil-spec cables about the same time I ran into Pierre Sprey's early products and discovered cables that were never designed for audio.

Since then, having tried many cables over a couple of decades, both home-brew and store bought, I have settled on the W.L. Gore products. A copy of their brochure is attached.

The Gore Phaseflex, their most recent product, for whatever reasons, serves music reproduction in ways that I never thought was possible. Since I have a pair of Nordost Odin interconnects for comparison, the Phaseflex "ate the Nordost for lunch and spit out the seeds."

Audioquest, Cardas, MIT, other micro-wave cables, even the older Gore products don't compare. The Phaseflex steps out of the way -- PERIOD. That's the good news. The bad news is that the stuff is a bitch to terminate and a nightmare to "shotgun."

I obtained mine on eBay and appears as surplus from DOD projects. Some offerings are relatively cheap, others are being offered at price gouging numbers. Still -- if you shop and keep a look out you will find decent lengths that can cut up and made into a pair or many pairs of interconnects.

Attachments:
00 AA WLGORE_PHASEFLEX.pdf [1.02 MiB]
Downloaded 602 times

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 1:19 pm 

Somebody needs to find a spool of Gore Phaseflex and pass it out!

Does this cable only come in premade assemblies or is it available from Gore as raw wire?

There are surplus 35' hunks on ebay for $200 but the seller indicated "Power cord not included."

Well, forget it then!! What good is an RF cable without a power cord?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I bought a 55' hunk on ebay, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it... If you find a listing from seller svcstore, make them a low-ball best offer, I got mine for about 40% less than the buy it now price...

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 1:35 pm 

H'mm, I might make you a lowball best offer for 2m~ :lol:

Let us know how it works out!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 2:01 pm 

J-ROB,

Good memory! I bought a Straightwire phonocable to go with my Alphason HRS-100 MCS arm back in the day.

Just made up a long pair of the cables yesterday, don't have them in the system yet. I need better RCA plugs, using some cheap ones for now (that grip like mad, though). I also have some RG-58 75 ohm coax crimp RCAs that I used for making digital cables and may give them a try.

David

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 2:03 pm 

Years ago I contacted Gore about bulk (their older product) -- they'll happily sell a 500-foot spool. I recall the price was $20/foot at that time. OUCH!

The offerings on eBay are usually terminated for RF testing and the like -- that doesn't jack up the price as much as greed. The guys selling surplus like that get it at auctions with a 2,400-pound minimum and at about $13/pound for whatever is in the lot.

I used to find some amazing bargains at the Hamfest in Timonum, MD. Like as one example -- Vishay bulk film resistors for 50-cents each. ZOWIE!!

I've attached a photo of the rear view of my set-up with Phaseflex.

Attachments:
00 AA WD.jpg
00 AA WD.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 18847 times ]

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 2:35 pm 

I took Joe Roberts on his offer and traded $5 for about 20 feet of the Coleman cable.
I made up a pair of interconnects. Sunday morning and was underwhelmed. I was surprised on how lifeless the sound was (used between DAC and preamp) which surprised me because of the silver tinned copper. I was expecting a very bright sound. After four or five hours things got better. After 24 hours it is really sounding very good. I will be looking to obtain at least 60 feet more to make a set of shot-gunned pair for my run between preamp and amps, replacing over twenty year old Mogami Neglex twinax.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Pelliott321 wrote:
I made up a pair of interconnects.

What did you use for RCAs?

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 3:06 pm 

Here is wiki on coax/twinax cables -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_c ... xial_cable

For balanced lines you might consider twin-ax cables although the connectors are a bitch to attach. Note that some microwave coax cables have copper plated steel inner conductors (the copper plating is several skin depths thick at microwave frequencies). At low frequencies, because of the steel, the cable looks like a non-linear inductor and you would not want to use it for audio applications.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next