DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 7:36 pm 

It was the best tool I had on hand. It did work but took some time since that cable had four ~6' 4AWG heat sinks hanging off it. The fixed cable had a way better joint than the original cracked, dull, pitted looking thing.

For a couple grand, you think the joint would have been some baddass compression/cold weld connection?

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:
I blasted the spade with a 100w solder gun for a few minutes and finally got a decent join but that turned me off to high priced cable.

:handgestures-thumbdown: Soldering guns are pretty much a useless device. For big stuff a large iron is infinitely superior. Guns have no thermal mass, as soon as you put them on something large the gun gets cold.... I picked up a real monster at a thrift store today, no label to tell how many watts, but it's huge compared to my 80W iron....

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 8:17 pm 

Well after listening for a week to two interconnects configuration I have decided that at least in my system the Coleman Cable as interconnect is a waste of time. The cable is just "lifeless". It just kills the music.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 9:10 pm 

I've spent several hours making cables. They are better than the DH Labs BL-1. Nowhere near as good as the Cardas 17.5 in parallel runs on a foam core wrapped with Teflon. They have more midrange grunt, but focus and detail disappear in MY system . YMMV.

A simple 22" length SUT to phono stage in Roscoe's rig killed his treble also.

Time to order Cardas.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 9:13 pm 

Take out your wallet, bud.

I also found it too dark for phono cable on my Rekokut last week. Got some raw silver litz in my carry on luggage which is a bit livelier. Also plan to use a few 32ga strands of it to rewire a couple tonearms.

On the other hand I tried five or six cables laying around between DAC and amp and stuck with the RG-223 but that setup can get spitty real fast.

Last edited by J-ROB on August 15th, 2016, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 9:25 pm 

Do I dare say it? W.L. Gore Phaseflex. :music-listening:

Here is a current link on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gore-Phaseflex- ... SwZVlXpWP9

PostPosted: August 16th, 2016, 9:08 am 

Gortex
35 feet for $200 (with shipping)
Plus connectors
Too much for me

PostPosted: August 16th, 2016, 9:30 am 

I do like the Cardas sound. Full midrange, and while the highs are there, they are not overbearing, sizzling, etched, etc. They just sound right.

The cable is a bit of a PITA to tin, but otherwise, it's not really expensive, Handmade has it for $1.80/foot (10+), Sonicraft for $1.62. They even have 20.5 @ $0.80/'. Thinking of one strand of 20.5 parallel with one of 17.5 per terminal.

I have so much more to do, chasing expensive cables is not in the time or $$$ budgets.

Cardas just works (to steal a Roscoe phrase).

Thanks Charlie!

PostPosted: August 16th, 2016, 2:35 pm 

I'll go in on some Phaseflex if somebody wants to split up a chunk. Roscoe says that dude on ebay will accept low ball offers.

I like to have a selection of cables on hand because every hookup is a little bit different.

Paul: I have a pile of Belden shielded twisted pair terminated in 1/4" TRS plugs pulled out of a recording studio. They might be 15' long, maybe longer. IIRC, it is tinned PVC insulated. Pro standard for eons. I'll gladly send you some if you want to give it a shot. Give me a day to recover from the long-ass dreadful Korean Air experience I just suffered and I'll get the part number. I tried it in passing but have no recollection of it's sonic character.

On the bright side, in-flight movies included "Miles Ahead" about Miles, a movie about Hank Williams "I Saw the Light" and a docudrama about Chet Baker, "Born to be Blue." All were pretty good, particularly "Born to be Blue." A refreshing alternative to the Kung Fu and Dolph Lundgren-type movies I usually watch on Korean Air. These will probably all be on Netflix next month, so watch for 'em.

There is also the Gore twisted pair on ebay, low C for long runs, cheap, and probably very good quality stuff.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2016, 2:38 pm 

I am going to pick some up. I want to get the solid core center conductor version and some of the ones advertised on ebay make it difficult to discern whether it is a stranded or solid core center?

J-ROB wrote:
I'll go in on some Phaseflex if somebody wants to split up a chunk. Roscoe says that dude on ebay will accept low ball offers.

I like to have a selection of cables on hand because every hookup is a little bit different.

Paul: I have a pile of Belden shielded twisted pair terminated in 1/4" TRS plugs pulled out of a recording studio. They might be 15' long, maybe longer. IIRC, it is tinned PVC insulated. Pro standard for eons. I'll gladly send you some if you want to give it a shot. Give me a day to recover from the long-ass dreadful Korean Air experience I just suffered and I'll get the part number. I tried it in passing but have no recollection of it's sonic character.

On the bright side, in-flight movies included "Miles Ahead" about Miles, a movie about Hank Williams "I Saw the Light" and a docudrama about Chet Baker, "Born to be Blue." All were pretty good, particularly "Born to be Blue." A refreshing alternative to the Kung Fu and Dolph Lundgren-type movies I usually watch on Korean Air. These will probably all be on Netflix next month, so watch for 'em.

There is also the Gore twisted pair on ebay, low C for long runs, cheap, and probably very good quality stuff.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

I have experience with both versions of the Phaseflex. You can't go wrong with either one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6