DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 6:52 pm 

I picked up enough of this cable at the DC AudioFest from Joe Roberts (thanks Joe for the gift!) to run it as single run per channel from my preamp to amps. To be fair, my expectations were not all that high except.... that Joe mentioned that he liked this stuff. My preferences have always steered me toward balanced, solid core conductor runs and a simple coax design (rj223?) did not rank highly in my interconnect hierarchy.

I used some Chinese made Tellurium copper Eichmann Bullet Plug RCA connector clones. At the AudioFest, there was some discussion to double up the cable runs to provide 2 identical legs per channel and use the braid as just a shield but I did not have enough so I built them up as a single run (center solid core as + leg and the metal braid as the - run). The interconnects I currently use are an AudioQuest solid core design. They sound pretty good I guess.

In a single word, the JR Coleman (JRC) interconnect is .......SMOOOOOOTH! The JRCs are tonally SPOT ON with vocals and instruments in the lower midrange and give a nice chunky, solid presentation. The difference between the JRCs and the Audioquests with female vocals was the JRCs highlighted the chest and the Audioquest sounded slightly more nasal. Here there was no contest, I liked the JRCs.

Play music loud? Go ahead and crank it, the JRCs sound better the louder you go (apparently without limit) unlike the AudioQuests which transition over and become somewhat shrill/harsh/confused as the sound level rises to silly loud levels I don't normally listen to. Also, perhaps because the JRCs sound so composed and listenable at high levels, I also heard dynamic contrasts that I did not realize my system was capable of. Perhaps this is just that with the AudioQuests in my system, I tend to limit how loud I play my system because at some point it starts to sound a bit rough.

Bass performance with the JRC was also good with a nice rhythmic foundation to set off the enjoyable midrange mentioned above. Shortcomings? The JRCs did not do detail and "air" and soundstage as well as the AudioQuests and also are less enjoyable as the volume diminishes.

JRC strengths

Great midrange (tone, continuity and balance)
smooth and realistic sounding at high levels
Solid bass performance

JRC weaknesses

a bit dull at lower levels which is unfortunately where I do a fair amount of listening
some loss of air/space/imaging compared to the AudioQuests

If you listen to high efficiency speakers like full rangers or horns where you have plenty of detail/presence/slam factor and/or if you like to listen LOUD then I think you should make up a pair and give them a try!

Polite systems may not take to these cables, too much smoothness might present as dull. I have a set of AudioNote Copper stranded wire interconnects which have a certain sound. Almost as if they focus on the essentials in music and allow other sonic qualities to recede somewhat. The JRCs are like that but better overall than the AudioNotes.

Do they need break-in? Only time will tell. Are they nice sounding? You bet, especially when loud! Would a doubled up run address the shortcomings that I heard? Maybe. Are they directional? Don't know, I only tried them oriented using the writing on the cable outer sheath. Worth trying out ? Absolutely!

Thanks Joe for the idea and the wire!

Last edited by TubeDriver on July 26th, 2016, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 8:47 pm 

I used the same RG type when I made the cables for my A-B-X box. Solid copper inner conductor with silver plating, and braided copper shield also silver plated. Just seemed like an ideal construction with out having any experience with it. I got my cable a year ago from Fairfield Microwave, and also picked up some of Joe's at the show. While the manufacturer is different, the construction is the same.

David

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 8:13 am 

Do they sound the same? You might have to ABX your ABX box? :twisted:

dberning wrote:
I used the same RG type when I made the cables for my A-B-X box. Solid copper inner conductor with silver plating, and braided copper shield also silver plated. Just seemed like an ideal construction with out having any experience with it. I got my cable a year ago from Fairfield Microwave, and also picked up some of Joe's at the show. While the manufacturer is different, the construction is the same.

David

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 8:22 am 

Thanks for the review Pete.

Since my need is for XLR-RCA, I'll try out the parallel runs. Hoping that because my speakers (92dB/W/M) are way less efficient than yours, that the low-level dullness is not an issue. Hopefully the cables can be put together this week after another project for a friend.

Hate to lose air/space/detail (that's a definite fail for me) , so fingers crossed.

Stuart

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 9:04 am 

Glad you're liking the 223. Sorry bud...Can't use my name unless I get 10% of the profits...all expenses are strictly on you, of course!

I suggest "Hilton Audio OFC Transconnect"...OFC for "Oll-right! Free Cable!"

You will note they sound a lot better after 10000 hours break in. Set an alarm for 9999.99 and be there for the transformation.

The characterization is apt. SMOOOOVE. I picked this cable using a big horn system and those Altec/WE cones I like where this orientation works out. The HF is definitely non-emphasized but is there. Most of my setups only do 13k, as do my ears. Excessive zing is the cardinal sin of hifi in my mind, but obviously HF "detail" is a popular attribute in the marketplace.

Watch the capacitance on long runs, particularly into hi Z inputs!! If this was $300 a foot Cardas, one would move the gear closer together, but free wire encourages long interconnects. Human nature. I think this stuff runs ~50pF/ft. Do the math.

I agree with Dave that this stuff looks good on paper: silver plated copper inner, nice PE insulation--which I have found to sound great in interconnects, better than teflon, and dense double silver-plated copper shield. Quite a premium grade RG coax.

To get anything better, you might have to spend some real money, up to several bucks a foot.

I got more if anybody needs it.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 3:24 pm 

Some good points to consider, Joe. In some ways, my setup is not ideal. I run an autoformer, non-active preamp to 10+ feet of interconnect to my amps. However, my DAC has a built-in volume control with a robust discrete output stage designed to directly drive amps, and my amps have a nice 100k ohm input impedance. But my guess is that with an active preamp and shorter interconnects (1-2m), the "dullness" and loss of soundstage and air at lower volumes might not be an issue? Then there is the whole break-in issue, I know that new stuff tends to sound different after our brains have adapted and also the item itself might undergo some change with use. I did not allow for break-in so additional time will be needed. All I can say is, it is better than the entry level Copper AudioNote interconnect I have and that is without even factoring in the price differential.

"Hilton Audio OFC Transconnect"...OFC for "Oll-right! Free Cable!" is is. HAOFC!

I certainly would not mind another couple feet to try out a 1.5' set for phono stage to preamp and perhaps TT to phono stage! Thanks.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 3:34 pm 

50pF/foot is a little high for phono cable, unless you use a short length.

I need to fire up my soldering iron and make up a pair to try against my Cardas (which need retermination).

David

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 3:43 pm 

Any recommendations for RCA plugs? What is the advantage of Tellurium?

ray

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

David McGown wrote:

Depends on how you define phono... Between a low output MC and a step-up/phono stage, the capacitance is pretty much a don't-care because the MC output Z is so low... For a high-output MM, you'll need to be careful, but if you can easily change the input capacitance of your phono stage, it shouldn't be a problem there either.

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:01 pm 

I run about 1.5' from TT to phono pre and 2.5' from phono pre to Preamp so length is not an issue. Plus, like Roscoe stated my MC cartridge is not all that susceptible to capacitance issues.

David McGown wrote:

I need to fire up my soldering iron and make up a pair to try against my Cardas (which need retermination).

David