DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 9:19 am 

Rich, my AK board and USB> I2S boards are here. What connector is used for the five pin signal connection on the AK board?

Thanks,

Stuart

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 10:23 am 

Mine had square pins like some headers for the I2S Bus. I just used the jacks I found on Ebay to go with it.

I installed the 0.1" center square pin header on my Amanero board and just plugged in both sides.

Your board is totally different and looks like there is a flat cable connecting the USB XMOS board to the DAC. The outputs like like square pins to the audio outputs.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2016, 10:26 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Being the cheapo that I am, I ordered a similar USB-I2S board from DIYINHK (Hong Kong). With the little LED board it was $65. They also have a DAC board with the AK4490 chip. Looks very different from the one that Rich uses. Probably not as good. But, as a package, they are pretty cheap and at least the DAC uses 3.3V, 5V & 12V supplies. Probably a second supply also, but I can't see all the pin labels on the board. Either use it as is, or it can be custom programmed. I know nothing of this, but I bet Rich, Roscoe, TomP, Guy, Bruce and lots of others do.

If you buy TWO, it's $60 off. So if two of you want to go in, it's a really sweet deal!

For your information:

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/ ... nd_led_pcb

The difference is this board set needs four regulated DC power supplies built and connected (+/-12VDC, +5VDC and +3.3VDC). The one in my parts list just needs two transformers and the USB board to I2S Bus board.

I would suggest looking at the Linear Technologies LT1085 and LT1033 3Amp series for the regulators. IIRC they have the fixed output units for those voltages at Digi-Key. The Audio Amateur issue with the Gary Galo LT KG-5 regulators uses them and sounds very good.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 9:52 am 

Another thing would be to leave off the connectors on the DC power supply holes and just solder the wired directly. Much lower DC resistance that way.

I always use the Radio Shack eutectic rosin core solder with 2% silver. Works well with my temp controlled iron at 380C.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:05 am 

Rich,

I have the same AK board as you do. Are you suggesting removing the 9VAC and 24VCT AC terminal strips from that board?

I still have no idea what cable end will fit that board. Okay, 0.1" pin spacing, 5-pin, that leaves a lot of options. Just not familiar with the various board connectors.

The DIYINHK USB-I²S board I bought has three headers. I need to find instructions for this as well as the DAC board itself.

Header one is well labeled and I just need a board connector to fit it, hopefully with a ribbon attached. The five needed terminals: Ground, MCLK, LCLK, RCLK and data (IIRC) are easy to connect, pin to pin, once I know what connectors to buy.

Header two has a ribbon cable and connects to the display. Nothing more than soldering.

Header three is just two pins marked ground and +3.3V. Now I don't know if this is a 3.3V output, derived from the 5V USB bus, or if this is a voltage input.

With regards to the AK4490EQ board, two questions. 1) Is there some sort of instruction sheet available? 2) How precise is the 9VAC requirement? I have a transformer, which delivers 9.85 volts when supplied with 117 volts (my home voltage). Close enough, or will some heatsink overheat and kill something or worse?

Thanks Rich,

Stuart

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Stuart Polansky wrote:
How precise is the 9VAC requirement? I have a transformer, which delivers 9.85 volts when supplied with 117 volts (my home voltage). Close enough, or will some heatsink overheat and kill something or worse?

That shouldn't be a problem I expect I'll be running a 12v winding there...

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:18 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
That shouldn't be a problem I expect I'll be running a 12v winding there...

Roscoe

Thanks, any ideas on data/instruction sheets, etc.?

Stuart

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Thanks, any ideas on data/instruction sheets, etc.?

Stuart

Nope... Ping the ebay seller?

Roscoe

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:40 am 

Stuart,
I was talking about the boards you had in your link posted. That is not the same as mine. I use the screw down terminals on my board as it was at CAF2016.

The 9VAC requirement is for the 5V and 3.3V regulators. You will be fine with 9.85VAC. It will probably work all the way down to 6VAC, since the regulators are very low voltage dropout units. Going above 10VAC might be a heat problem since the regulators are heatsinked to the board copper pads.

Here is something close to what I used for the pin header connections:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1007-AWG22-Dupo ... xyLiJR0SWD

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 10:47 am 

You might find the following useful if you have not read them already.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/akm-verita-4490-dac/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/293161-connecting-multiple-voltage-regs-dac-board.html

There seems to be a lot of info on diyaudio.

Since I plan to try building a copy of what you blokes are doing later this year, I thought I would like to contribute some help while not sharing in the agony and confusion.

ray

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next